Get glass off of plastic mid-frame Assembly???

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by beckerart, May 4, 2009.

1. beckerart

beckerart New Member

I took the broken glass/gasket/plastic midframe Assembly off my Ipod 2nd gen, now what's the easy way to get the glass off the plastic frame so I can reuse it to replace the new glass and digitizer?

If I mess up the gasket or frame is there a place where I can get a new plastic frame with a gasket attached?
  2. DomMaiocchi

DomMaiocchi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I scraped the glass off with a razor blade over an empty cardboard box. [BE CAREFUL]

I know that you can buy a new plastic frame with a gasket attached from web sites around the web, I had to buy one. It'll cost about $50. Good luck!
  3. beckerart

beckerart New Member

Thanks DomMaiocchi...I used an exacto blade and did like you said....I was very Careful.....It came off nicely. I then went and took cotton swabs and dipped them into GooGone and rubbed it around the plastic sticky stuff and stayed away from the button and electronic parts. All the sticky stuff came off and I was left with just the plastic.

Now I am wondering about the very very thin plastic rubber gasket that runs around that plastic piece. Parts of it are bad and I cut of a small piece that was sticking out.
    Has anyone ever put back the glass and plastic frame without that gasket? would it be okay without the rubber gasket?

Also what kind of glue does one use to glue the glass back onto the frame?
  4. DomMaiocchi

DomMaiocchi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You might want to try using some silicone instead of the gasket. It may just work. Good Luck!
  5. Mykesthic

Mykesthic New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hi

i need this gasket as well (broke mine during disassembly), as far as i can see, the only place to get it is RapidRepair: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iPod-Touc...-Midframe_W0QQitemZ350198543982QQcmdZViewItem which is a bit of a pain in the a for me living in switzerland and them not shipping international.

@DomMaiocchi: is there another shop available?

another problem is the glue: what kind do you use?
    and what about the electronic thing that is beneath the home button? can i use my old one or is one included in the replacement?

questions over questions

Please Register or Log in to view images

greets mike
  6. robouk

robouk New Member