Get around the app restriction on iphone and ipod

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by welshboy, Dec 8, 2007.

1. welshboy

welshboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, I've seen this posted on this forum, and i don't use putty, so i had to download it and try and use that, but the backspace keys are messed up so i had to re-type the command whenever i done a mistake (theres probably a way around it) but anyway, so then i though well, what has putty got that winSCP hasnt? except for the fact putty has a command line interface.

So heres what you do.
    1.Log into SSH on your iPod touch/iPone using winSCP and then go to the root directory where the apps are stored. (press the 2 dots on the top of the list until you see "Applications").
    2.Still in the root dir (where the "Applications" folder is) right click on the "Applications" folder and click copy, copy it you your local computer.
    3.Rename the Applications folder on your iPod/iPhone (just add a 2 onto it or w.e) This is to make sure nothing goes wrong, if it does, rename it back to "Applications".
    So now we have a copy of "Applications" on our pc, and "Applications2" (if thats what you named it) on your iPod/iPhone.
    4.Now click on the "var" folder and on your local machine (the left pane in winSCP) drag the "Applications" folder here.
    5.Press the up a dir folder (the one with the 2 dots) twice. so you are back in the main dir.
    6.Right click and click New -> Link...
    7.In the "Link/Shortcut File:" Text box type "Applications" and in the "Point link/Shortcut to:" text box type "/private/var/Applications" (case sensative)
    8.Reboot your iPod, install an app using installer, then log into the SSH using winSCP again, click on var and then Applications, check to see if the new file you installed is there.

If it is well done, if not, then restore the backup (change the "Application2" folder name to "Application" and try it again, there shouldn't be any need to re-send the "Application" folder to your pc again as it should still be there.

Any questions, post here, and i can answer them.

This guide is based on the one Swedishviking posted for the program Putty. All i did was re-write it so that it works for winSCP. The directories are the same, so thank him for releasing the original guide.
  2. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for the WinSCP guide.
  3. sangesf

sangesf New Member

Yeah, this is a good guide, thanx.

MY next guide is to move the Fonts folder... Look for it soon!

(In about an hour)

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. ARUS

ARUS New Member

great work. Putty doesn´t work (at me) and so this guide is really helpful.
  5. welshboy

welshboy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Np, putty was a bit strange to me too, didnt work either, so i decided to use WinSCP and realised there wasnt a guide on it. So i thought there must be more people in my boat, and made one. I was going to use pictures, but i think i made the guide well enough so that people can understand without pictures.