Review geoDefense

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by TDG, Jul 17, 2009.

1. TDG

TDG Active Member

xlgy2q.jpg
    Developer: Critical Thought Games
    Price: $0.99
    Version Reviewed: 1.2
    Release Date: 2009-2-28

GeoDefense. This game was released back in February, but I figured I'd review this unique Tower Defense game, because it is like no other Tower Defense game I've played.

GeoDefense is a Tower Defense game with a retro spin, giving the towers, enemies, and surroundings, a technological look. There are Easy, Medium, and Hard based stages. Enemies travel out of one side of a passage and try to get to the end, taking away one of your lives each. Your job is to stop them using towers that you are able to place around the path, which shoot at the pests in attempt to stop them. This game has a very basic, cheap look to it, before you actually start playing it.

Please Register or Log in to view images

In the picture above, you'll be able to see the 5 weapons you have available for use throughout the game. From left to right they are: Bullet Tower, Laser Tower, Rocket Tower, Electricity Tower (slows enemies), and Vortex Towers (gives power to your towers). Each of these weapons can be upgraded to improve their strength and performance. A turn-off of this game is that each tower needs to be upgraded nearly ten times before they reach their final evolution. Each upgrade costs more each time, starting around $10 and going up to around $60 for some towers. Depending on how many levels are in each round, this can be the deciding factor of the game.

In this picture, you can see the upgrading system. The towers first upgrade here is 5 dollars, and it's peak should be around $40. The "Pop" button only applies for this particular tower, as all other towers say "Sell". It also tells you the name of your tower, the range, and level. In the top-left corner you can see a row of zeros. As you kill enemies, your score will go up. The top-middle shows you how many creeps you have killed. For some reason, it always starts with x1, even though you haven't killed anything yet. The top-right shows you how many levels are in each round, and which level you are on. You can also see our Creeps, which are the enemies trying to get through. They come in different shapes and variations, such as slow and strong, moderate and fair, or fast and weak. The Creeps do get harder to kill the farther you are into the round.

In this picture, you can see some of the awesome effects that you were not expecting. This level shifting, map morphing effect happens every time you kill a Creep, and it surprisingly doesn't lag.

~

I have a few cons, but unfortunately they are major. This will probably be the hardest TD game you will ever play. Getting past the Medium rounds is a challenge for many people, and myself. As the game goes on the Creeps get faster, they come faster, and they come prepared. They are too strong for the amount that can come at once in one level, and amazingly get past fully upgraded towers half of the time. Believe me, you're gonna wanna throw your iPod or iPhone against the wall sometimes, but after practicing a little bit, you sort of get used to it. Money is also an issue in this game. For long rounds, such as forty level ones, it's not much of a problem. The money does increase in percentage by each level, but depending on the length of some rounds, that's not a factor. Money comes at a slow pace in short rounds, so you have to be careful when placing new towers and upgrading. Also, there are a scarce number of towers. In all the TD games I've played, there have been more than 5 towers, whether they are unlockable, or research-able. One more thing is that there are more than four rounds per difficulty, but when you enter, there are only the first four to pick from, meaning if there is a certain round you wanna get to that's not there, you have to play through a couple before you can actually play the one of your choosing. One thing I do like is that the area is not a grid, like Fieldrunners or Tapdefense, meaning you can place the towers anywhere you want with no pre-designated squares.

Overall, this game takes practice, and is fun to play and watch graphic-wise. It needs some major gameplay tweaks such as difficulty fixes, and tower selection.

Replay Value: 7.5/10
    Value For Money: 7.5/10

OVERALL RATING:
    7.8/10

2. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I agree with the hard thing. It is sooooo freakin' hard.
  3. toomuchcaffeine

toomuchcaffeine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can make it easier. Its set on "hardcore" mode by default.
  4. Radish

Radish Banned

Device:
    iPod touch
    I set it on easy, I'm still hardcore dying.
  5. TDG

TDG Active Member

If it wasn't for the graphics when I first got it, I would've deleted it after the third level.

I also set it to Novice Mode from the beginning and I still get demolished.
  6. toomuchcaffeine

toomuchcaffeine New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I guess it is pretty hard then. :O
    I only played a couple levels.

Also, I have to say I freaking love the effects. Its like watching fireworks.
  7. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Dude, this looks fun.
    Gotta go get this.
    Time to drop $15 on a iTunes gift card.
  8. TDG

TDG Active Member

WAIT!

Try the Lite version first!
  9. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    o.o;
    Will do. xD
  10. TDG

TDG Active Member

GAH! I just got to this level in hard. Oh Lord, I quit.