genius bar and my jailbroken itouch...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Proray, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Proray

Proray New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hey guys. i got my ipod in feb. and about 3 days ago decided to freeze. it was JB of course. when i restarted it samething happened. i kept reseting it and i got a dull boot screen where you could barely make out the apple. i resetted that and same thing. finally i got a regular boot screen but it never ended. so i tried to restore it and of course i get some 1601 error. cant restore. ive tried everything possible to restore it but its definately a hardware defect. i get an occasional black screen when i try to turn it on which refuses to go off until i force it to restart about 3 times. i made an appointment with the genius bar tuesday.

what do you think theyll ask me and what should i say? im pretty nervous even after hearing many stories where everything worked out fine. any replies are great. but i definately cant fix it myself so please dont tell me to put it in dfu then restore or try to use quickfreedom and use step 3 to get the white screen or try to rejailbreak cause ive tried it all.

thanks in advance.
    Ray
  2. flashisflamable

flashisflamable New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    What happened when you did try to dfu restore?
  3. Proray

Proray New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    it comes up on itunes and i click restore. it gets to the part after it extracts the firmware and i get some error message. my ipod disconnects from my pc and it usualy has a black screen on my ipod.
  4. Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    Just go there. If you really got it in DFU correctly, I'm pretty sure they will just restore for you or give you a new one. Don't be scared, Apple has good customer support. Most employees devices are jailbroken anyway. They know what's goin on.
  5. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Well, if you've REALLY tried everything possible, there's nothing you can do.

Once they see that it's jailbroken, they'll give it back to you and say you voided the warranty.
    But how did you manage to get into DFU mode to jailbreak it in the first place, then?
  6. iPhone_Anyone?

iPhone_Anyone? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    u sure your attempting to enter DFU mode correctly???

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    You're not goin to DFU if you just click restore.

Turn it off
    Hold power for 10 sec
    Keep holding power + hold the home button for 10 sec
    Release power but keep holding home button
    If you did it right there should be the connect to itunes screen.
  8. Proray

Proray New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yes im sure its in dfu. i jailbreak ipods for people everyday. it simply wont restore when in dfu. how will they see its jailbroken. it wont turn on. when i try to rejailbreak it gets to the part where it says waiting for device to boot and it doesnt turn on. i doubt theyll be able to tell if i cant get it to turn on.

i dont get a connect to itunes screen and thats how i put it in dfu.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    sorry for double posting but i got it to do something thank you thank you thank you. i wasnt doing the hold power for 10 sec at first.
  9. iPhone_Anyone?

iPhone_Anyone? New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    ok wierd. but just to make sure...

have the ipod OFF and connected snuggly into the usb cable.

check both ends!!!

hold the sleep/wake button for 5 sec.(screen should turn on)

keep holding the power button and also press the home button for 10 sec.(screen should turn off after a couple of sec.)

after the screen turns off, let go off the power button and keep holding the home button until u hear or see something pop up on ur computer.

ur computer should pop up itunes and if ur on windows, in the bottom bar a bubble should pop up saying it found a device in dfu.

by the way, ur ipod screen should be off.

then just shift/option restore in itunes. make sure u are chosing a firmware for the ipod u have!!!!!

also. just keep booting and turning off the device a few times. i did that once and i tried to restore and it worked.

if all the above fails. try using a different comp. or a diff. usb cable.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  10. Proray

Proray New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    dude i fixed it and feel like such a noob
    thank you guys especially baggy spandex because my problem was i wasnt putting my ipod into dfu correctly. i didnt use the power button by itself first for ten seccond. my ipod is now restored. thanks again guys you dont know how stupid i feel now.