General Questions from a Beginner (not urgent)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Technoligical, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Technoligical

Technoligical New Member

Dear all
    Totally new to ipods :O being totally against the whole branded thing and i loved going for the underdogs as such and "unknown" companys. However for some unknown reason i have decided that i going to get a ipod touch

Please Register or Log in to view images

just ordered this morning only 8gb as thought if i didnt like it not to big of hit on pocket. However i will stop telling you about my life story and get to the piont.
    It coming from apple refurbished so not sure what firmware will be on it. What do you recommend? i am pritty sure i wanna jailbreak it. Basically just want a quick head start if that ok. I know there post on each and every firm ware however i unsure which is which and which i want or which is better if one is :S
    Any way any help will be appreiciated and i will be sticking around to hear if any one has any recommendations for games and apps

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thz in advance
  2. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    it depends on how much money you've got
    If you haven't got alot of money to spend: firmware 1.1.x
    If you have got money to spend:fw 2.0
  3. Technoligical

Technoligical New Member

aaa ok so it costs for the firmware. Are they worth it? could you just get it through some site or p2p?
  4. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S2
    I thik you can get fw 2.0 for free someware (i guess it's illegel thow), but i don't know where.
    Firmware 2.0 costs 10$. The main difference between fw 2.0 and 1.1.x is that 2.0 has got the Appstore. THE APPSTORE AND THE PROGRAMMS IN THE APPSTORE DON'T RUN ON FW 1.1.X ! (just if you're going to ask. sorry if it's rude)
    most of the programms on appstoe aren't fore free i think. (I don't have 2.0, but i looked at the appstore on iTunes)
    So if you wan't to see what is on the appstore you can look at it in iTunes (go into the Store. you will know where to click.)
  5. Technoligical

Technoligical New Member

oooo so they trying to get even more money off me lol . I think i gonner jailbreak it for all free apps. Erm anything i should no about? Do most apps work on jailbroken 1.1.x?
  6. CurlyCarlos

CurlyCarlos New Member

There are tons of apps for the 1.1.x jailbreak, for that one has been around for months and months and apps could still run on each new version. However, with the introduction of firmware 2.0, we now have a choice: A large library of jailbreak apps on 1.1.x, or a great app store with apps that are in general a bit better quality, but not a large library of jailbreak apps. This is because 2.0 has a different application setup.

There are few good jailbreak apps on 2.0 right now, but that list is increasing. Here's a full list:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81439&highlight=ported apps

As you can see, the list is getting bigger... I recommend jailbreaking 2.0, however you have to be sort of "Technological" to understand the steps of "pwning", a variant of jailbreaking where you actually make a firmware with Installer/Cydia before loading it onto your device. Here's my favorite guide for pwning on Windows, it requires some upgrading/downgrading, but no DFU mode, which can be tricky:

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83130

I hope this post helped, feel free to ask more questions.
  7. Technoligical

Technoligical New Member

ok thz sos if i sound like a nagging kid or out just dont wanna break my new toy and wanna make right choice. I think i stick with 1.1.x because there is more choice. Is it simple to jailbreak i mean i have looked at many posts and they alot say you have to be a complete tit to c*ck it up. So sounds ok but i was reading some and they sounded pritty hard.
  8. CurlyCarlos

CurlyCarlos New Member

"You have to be a complete tit to c*ck it up"

Nice...
  9. Technoligical

Technoligical New Member

lol bit over the top but i wanna know if it simple or not. If u used a guide plz post it so i can see it as i am finding it hard to find a suitable one
  10. CurlyCarlos

CurlyCarlos New Member

Here's an over the top guide...

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69907

I like ZiPhone 2.6 because apparently it doesn't give as many errors. I still do suggest 2.0, but again, it depends on how good you are with this stuff and the type of apps you want...