Welcome to the iFans Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Gen 4 vs Gen 5?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Zeronkg17, Nov 20, 2012.

?

Which itouch?

Poll closed Nov 27, 2012.
  1. 5th Generation

90.9%
  2. 4th Generation

9.1%
  1. Zeronkg17

Zeronkg17 Member

Okay so I've been stuck with my itouch 3g for awhile now, about three years or so, and have finally come to the decision of which newer ipod Generation should I go to get? The 4th gen is pretty dependable from what I've read and have seen for the past 2 years but now with the 5th gen out I am wondering is it really better? In terms of hardware like the camera obviously its more advanced but not all the way. Both have a 5mega pixel camera (which is what I care about). But as for things such as the plain out duraility it would seem the 5th gen is a wee bit more fragile? It's also lacking the light sensor which is to me kind of a step back for apple... any thoughts or opinions? Also please vote it would be appreciated! ;)
  2. iBenji

iBenji Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I've had both the 4th gen and the 5th gen and the 5th gen is noticeably better. First of all, the camera is much better. The iPod Touch 4th gen camera is barely usable. It's extremely poor quality. The 5th gen camera is actually really good.
    The build quality is also much better on the 5th gen. The 4th gen feels too fragile and flimsy. It scratches too easily and isn't even as attractive as the 5th gen, plus you get more color choice on the 5th gen.
    The 5th gen also has some awesome features you wont find in the 4th gen (siri, panorama, 4" screen, camera flash, etc.). Lastly, the 5th gen will get more software updates than the 4th gen.
    In 2 years, give or take, the 4th gen wont even be eligible for software updates while the 5th will be.
    The lack of a light sensor isn't that noticeable. I haven't even really missed having one. The choice is obvious, go with the 5th generation.
    SilverShip and JailbreakHelp like this.
  3. The KC

The KC Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    I own both and would say 5th gen hands down. Its got the new Apple design aesthetic like the iPhone 5 and iPad mini, and doesn't have the scratch prone polished metal back of previous generations.

Hardware wise, the A4 in the 4th gen is probably on its last legs. iOS 6 hiccups and chugs along at times. Having 256mb ram doesn't help either...I found apps and games were more likely to crash on the 4th gen. I doubt it'll see iOS 7. The A5 can still handle most things you throw at it, and I suspect devices that use it will see OS upgrades for at least 1 more version, if not 2. The camera has gone from a sub-megapixel fixed focus unit in the 4th gen, to a 5mp backside illuminated autofocus unit with the optics of the iPhone 5 in the 5th gen. It's a really decent camera, especially for a mobile device.

It's well worth the extra dollars over the 4th gen.
  4. ValleyForge

ValleyForge Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    After using my 5th gen, 4th gens make me sick to my stomach :p
    It's a WORLD of difference. Don't get a 4th gen, it's extremely outdated.
  5. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    5th gen beats out the 4th so much it's not even funny. This isn't an iPad 3 to iPad 4 or iPhone X to XS type of update. The 5th gen is a significant update.
    Zyiros likes this.
  6. TylerDrgnHeart

TylerDrgnHeart Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    The 5th gen way better; I mean, it even took apple 2 years to release it (white iPod touch 4g? I almost raged when I heard about it).

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
  7. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    When playing games with my sister on WiFi, I have to wait half a minute until her 4Gen loads. Love the speed of my 5Gen. Definitely go 5Gen.
  8. bstevenhaagen

bstevenhaagen Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The 4th gen cameras are 0.3MP Front and 0.7MP ...they are horrible quality
    The 5th gen cameras are 1.3MP 720p front and 5MP back ...a huge step up.

I highly recommend the 5th gen. Also, gaming performance is very laggy on the 4th gen. It's becoming very slow on iOS 6.
  9. Airion

Airion Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I've been stuck with the iPod Touch 3G for two long years. The device has been fully functional, however, in July, the power button stopped working. I was thinking of taking it in to get repaired, but because I already had my iPod jailbroken, I decided not to because I had Activator. :)

Anyways, I never used the iPod Touch 4G, but the iPod Touch 5G is a HUGE step up from the 3G. X3
  10. pineapple juice

pineapple juice Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 7
    Who voted 4th, gen? Show yourself!
    Zyiros likes this.