"Gel Skin Kicks Ass" AKA MyGelSkin.com Skin REVIEW W/ PICS

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by deleted account 4, Feb 21, 2008.

1. deleted account 4

deleted account 4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    A little over two weeks ago I found this thread http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34197.

I looked at the link and the fake-looking pictures of a bunch of different gel skins. The main reason that they looked so fake was that the first one looked so REAL! It was wood, like a desk or table, but it claimed to be gel. I was so amazed yet skeptical that I spent $28.00 plus shipping and handling to buy it. There are other designs, but this one looked simple but awesome.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I come home today and find the tiny package I open it up and find the two gel skins (front and back), two "blank" pieces of paper (actually tape things to apply the skin), and the instructions.

I quickly skim through the procedures to see whats up ahead and immediatly find a typo in the 3rd instruction. Now I'm almost scared of this product, wondering what other mistakes could have been made. I carry on, though, and take about 8 minutes or so to actually install the skins. it was fairly easy, but I made a tiny mistake on the front one and put the skin too far down.

I pull on it firmly, but it seems to resist. It feels like it WOULD come off, but I didn't want to accidentally mess it up. I left it as it was.

After giving you the background information, it's time for the real review. For starters, as said in the thread mentioned earlier, this skin KICKS ASS! It just looks awesome, like real wood even out of the picture. It's totally realistic and shiny at the same time. Probably the best combination of attributes to a case.

The feel is also also totally awsome. Look at some of the pictures... See what you think it feels like? It feels just like that. Soft and gelskiny, but firm and safe. Smooth is one word, but not hard really.

The depth is another thing I have to compliment. I was afraid that after applying it, it wouldn't fit in my speakers or ipod alarm clock, but I was wrong. It is NOT thick. It feels like it is (in a good way) but it's not.

I do have just a couple of complaints though. Every time I hit the home buton, it seems to stick. Sometimes it won't even notice. This may be because of my bad job of putting it on, which brings me to my next point. I like how it feels like the skin won't easily come off, but it is also annoying when I want to adjust it. Finally, the price was decent, but in my opinion a bit steep. I would have been more than happy with it being 25 dollars, but in my mind 28 is the smallest bit too expensive.

Overall, I give it a 9/10. It looks amazing, feels amazing tastes a... feels amazing, isn't too thick, and feels firm. Unfortunately, the strength was a already too strong after about one second of acidentally putting it on. If you have thirty bucks to spend, you want an ipod skin, and you want it to be a kick-ass gel skin then this is the way to go.

Attached Files:

2. x6blues

x6blues New Member

thx for this, i was waiting for some1 to fill me in on this. it looks pretty nice, but im still sticking with my more expensive iskin diablo

lol anyways this was a great review. thx again
  3. deleted account 4

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    lol, do what u want. Thanks tho. One other thing that I should mention is that it still somehow has the little light thing that detects how bright the screen needs to be.
  4. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wow that actually looks so crazy! it looks really nice, but i wouldnt put it on my touch because it takes away from the futuristic look of it. if thats the style your going for though,. that skin looks perfect!

5. GarnetNGold

GarnetNGold Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    That looks sick.
  6. njdevildude4

njdevildude4 New Member

great review

i just have a question. When it falls off or if you take it off does it leave a mark?

Good thing someone did this review because i thought is was some piece of crap product that i was going to buy anyway
  7. deleted account 4

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    According to... I think the website or something (can't remember lol) it doesn't leave a mark or any residew if it's taken off, but I don't know if it would stick back on.
  8. whitechocolit

whitechocolit New Member

It's a stick on thing or a case?
  9. deleted account 4

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    stick on thing. Gel Skin
  10. saysay

saysay New Member

Wow, that really does look great. Like I pictured it! cuz my friend has something like this for his iphone and it really does look good in person.

I wish they just sold the faceplate and not that stupid back pad. could you stick this on top a screen protector? incase slider+screen protector+this would be sweet. course I don't need the screen protector but still