Review Gears (Steam Community client)

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by studangerous, Jun 30, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Gears price cut to $0.99 for a limited time.
    Grab it while you can!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Category: Social Networking
    Released: May 20, 2009
    Version: 1.0
    Size: 0.8MB
    Developer: Domenic Maiocchi
    Home Page: http://gearsapp.com/
    Twitter: @GearsApp

Gears is billed as the first & only iPhone and iPod touch App Store application to allow you to access the Steam Community. For those of you who are blissfully unaware, Valve is the creator of the Half Life games and the Steam Community is their community webspace within the Steam Client, which itself is a gaming-centric system for delivering content direct to your desktop. There's definitely enough links in that last sentence to satiate your appetite if you want to know more!

In essence, Gears allows you to view all the major details you can access in the Steam Community. However, what lets it down is the lack of of Steam Chat for communicating with other players and friends. This is as good as it gets on the iPhone though as Valve are keeping the Steam chat protocols closed. The Gears developer, Domenic Maiocchi, has stated that he will include the Steam chat system if and when Valve decides to opens the chat system to developers.​

Once I had worked out how to find my Steam ID (two years of playing Team Fortress 2 and I still didn't know!) I logged in without further problem. The app contacts the Gears server to further pick up your Steam profile info and associated data, which, despite a server upgrade by Dom, is a little slow on my Edge connection - though that's probably my provider's problem and nothing to do with the Gears server or app. Gears works over all connections so you can access through WiFi, Edge or 3G. Note that you login using your Steam ID and NOT your Steam login account details, so there's no security risks when using Gears.

Gears at work (large GIF - let it load)

In its current form Gears shows you Steam nicknames, avatars, user locations, online status and bi-weekly gameplay statistics for any and all Community Members you select. It also shows all games that you/they have installed on Steam with biweekly gameplay stats for each. Clicking on a game opens the Steam Community game page in Safari so you can quickly see more game details and even purchase it to add to your Steam account.

In conversation with the developer, Dom, he told me that unfortunately his app currently has a 60% piracy rate. A sign of the times but not the worst piracy rate I have heard. Dom has a few updates in mind for Gears, including interface improvements and an achievements & stats sections. He's hoping that if you consider all this, plus the price drop to $0.99 to coincide with this review, some of the pirates will be persuaded to step up and legitimately purchase Gears. I hope so too.​

Scoring:

Features: ................7-----------A good deal of info with updates to come. All important chat is absent, naturally.

GUI:.........................6-----------Simple interface, some glitches when flipping between pages

Audio: .....................n/a-------Notification beeps only

Reuse Value: ..........8-----------Useful for us die-hard Steam gamers. Not a 'must-have' but still very useful

Value For Money: ...7-----------$2.99 regular price is steep given lack of chat and other details.

Reviewers License.+3---------A unique app on the App Store

Overall:...................7.75

Attached Files:

2. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Looks good!
    Don't have a steam account mysely but my mate does, so I'll have to pass this info on.
  3. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    was the price drop for one day only? Shows at $2.99 for me. Oh well, still a very useful app. I was sad when the one released here on the forums didn't pan out. This looks great though.
  4. DomMaiocchi

DomMaiocchi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hi VesperX, I'm the developer of Gears. I lowered the price to $0.99 about one hour ago. That means Apple is now in the process of changing the price in the App Store. This usually takes 1-2 hours. I apologize for the inconvenience. Check back often if you plan on purchasing a copy. Thank you.

5. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    no problem at all and i am definitely going to buy. It looks like an awesome app.

It's changed now. This looks great. Very nice work. Just so I'm clear, we're not actually logging in, right? it just monitors our profiles? the fact that there was no password request took me by surprise.
  6. DomMaiocchi

DomMaiocchi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for your support! You're correct, no sensitive account information is required. If you enjoy using Gears don't forget to leave a review in the App Store. Thanks again!
  7. Akiyama Mio

Akiyama Mio Member

Epic app! As a Steam user, this is awesome!

Good work DomMaiocchi :3
  8. KevN

KevN Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I bought this originally at 3 bucks...but I'm pleased to support the developer.

Please get in the chat feature as soon as you can.
  9. DomMaiocchi

DomMaiocchi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I greatly appreciate your early adoption. I'll surely add chat when it becomes technically feasible. Enjoy using Gears.
  10. Mgssidley

Mgssidley Member

Hmm thats cool. Dont use Steam though.