Gears 2 question

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by eric_chaos, Nov 8, 2008.

1. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Does anyone understand the multiplayer ranking?
    My friend got the game hours before me, he's way better than me, he's played it more than me, and yet I have a higher rank then him.
  2. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

I havnt played online, probs in a bit, but Ive heard the servers arn't too great at the moment? Maybe leaderboards a bit messed up? Or....you've played more ranked and hes played more player matches?
  3. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Nah. I not talking about leaderboards.
    Im talking about how you rank up according to exp, or games, or kills or something. I just dont know exactly how you rank up.

And we pretty much played together all last night, so we've been playing the same games.
  4. Led

Led Banned

My guess is that you made more revives or downs but he just gets more kills or something. Just because someone gets more kills doesn't mean they're better. I see this Rock Band alot. Some times i'll play score duel and the other guy will get 96 percent and i get 95 but i have a true skill rating of 17 and he has one of 9. I think it's because i'm better at rolls and activate overdrive at the right time. Other than that I don't know. Gears 2 is awesome. I'm at the last act though; not too long of a game.
  5. InaudibleWhisper

InaudibleWhisper Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Gears is score based, not kill based. Somebody can come top in a game with a higher score and no kills than somebody that has 6 kills because the other guy might have had 10 downs and 6 revives etc etc. That's what I like about Gears online, it ranks the guys after each match based on how much they contributed to their team which could be any kind of contribution not just getting kills. Ever had one of those games in CoD or Halo where you feel like you're shooting everyone buy somebody else swoops in and steals your kill so you end up with a low kill count and you look like you've done crap but really you know you weren't doing badly? Gears will reflect that by giving you points for all the damage you did, regardless of whether you killed them or not. So for you to rank up before him, you've simply played better overall.

You can view your stats after every game including your points, k/d ratio etc by pressed (I think) A on you or your teammates name and then clicking the button to view stats (Y I think).

The original problem with matchmaking was that it was really slow, often taking 5 minutes to find a game. But that sorted itself out for me 2 nights ago and now a game is found in about 20-30 seconds.