Garbled feedback using Truphone and Fring

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ispyt2, Jan 18, 2009.

1. ispyt2

ispyt2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I am getting garbled feedback at times using Truphone and Fring on an iPod touch 2G v2.2.

This happens when calling GoogleTalk or when calling the Truphone or Fring Test Call. The garbled feedback starts immediately before the connection is complete. I have worked with Truphone support and they think it is an iPod touch issue. Fring responed that they are looking into this issue. I have found others complaining about this on various forums and on the iTunes store review for these apps.

When this problem occurs, a GoogleTalk user answers and can hear me fine but I can't hear them. This appears to be an issue on my end only. Often, I have to try several times before I get a good connection. When I am able to connect to GoogleTalk or the Test Call without the feedback, it sounds fine. When I use the Mute option on Truphone, I can still hear the garbled audio.

This garbled feedback also happens when GoogleTalk calls me on Truphone or Fring.

I tried a Philips iPhone Connector Mic and the Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic. I have tested at home and at public WiFi hotspots.

I am not having a problem recording using iRecorder with either the Philips or Apple Mic.

Chat works fine to and from GoogleTalk with both Truphone and Fring.

I have restored my iPod touch using iTunes. I tried deleting and installing Truphone and Fring several times, deleting from both my iPod touch and in iTunes.

There are times when I don't get this problem. I have not tried using a method other than GoogleTalk or the Truphone and Fring Test Call.

I tried this at the Apple Store and got the same garbled feedback. They replaced my Apple Earphones with Remote and Mic but it didn't help. They ran Diagnostics but didn't find anything. Since this seems to only happen with Truphone and Fring, and not iRecorder, Apple thinks this is app and not hardware related so they will not replace my iPod touch. They suggested that I write up an description of the trouble I am having at apple.com/feedback which I did.

Truphone and Fring are still usable, just a bit frustrating when this happens.
  2. gustiit

gustiit New Member

I have the exactly same problem. Looks like a mac sabotage.
    By the way, with the fring, if you unplug the mic you hear correctly. But when you try again with the mic, again you get garbled feedback.
  3. ispyt2

ispyt2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    gustiit what is your iPod touch 2G build info (1st 5 digits on left of serial number)? Settings->General->About

Mine is 1A838.
  4. xDarknerOx

xDarknerOx Banned

garbled = lulz
  5. ispyt2

ispyt2 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    3.0 fixed Garbled feedback using Truphone and Fring

Loaded 3.0 this morning without any problems. All calls to the Truphone and fring test line worked every time. Calls to GoogleTalk users worked. So it appears to have been a software issue like Apple said, but it was their OS, not the app.