Game Programming

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by timbobsteve, May 3, 2008.

1. timbobsteve

timbobsteve New Member

Hi All,

Just wanted to ask a few questions and hopefully save myself a little bit if fumbling about. I am a Beginner->Intermediate C++ programmer with some SDL game programming experience and I wanted to know a few details before I jump into iPoT/iPhone programming.

- I know I can use C++ with the toolchain, but I wanted to know if there are any templates for Native iPhone C++ programs?

- Are there any C++ libraries for graphics programming on the iPhone? (I did read a few dead posts regarding compilation of SDL on iPhone, but they were of little help).

- Is OpenGL ES available in the community toolchain or only in the official SDK?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully I can get started on a project soon

Please Register or Log in to view images

See you around.
  2. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

RE: #1: Yes, i believe you CAN use c++ for iphone developing, however Objective-C is the basically "set" language already. You should learn a bit of that. It's also based off C, and c++ so you would probably have to problem learning
  3. PeterM

PeterM New Member

Regarding OpenGL ES, it works fine. Just pass zero or NULL to eglCreateWindowSurface to use the entire display. Use the following code in your application class to hide the clock bar (and therefore reduce flicker):
    Code:
    // Hide the status bar.
    [UIHardware _setStatusBarHeight: 0.0];
    [self setStatusBarMode: 2 duration: 0];
    Thanks to Lazrhog for that snippet.

Good luck!