[GAME IDEA]"Adventure" The Old School Text Game

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by d00m42, Feb 21, 2008.

1. d00m42

d00m42 Member

I don't know how many of you have ever heard of this game, but it is very fun to play, and actually pretty hard. It is entirely text, and the idea is that you are on an adventure and have to find your way around while making use of various items you find to accomplish tasks. You can mess up however, because there is a lot of freedom with commands. For example if you find a bottle of water, you can type "drink water" and it will let you do that even if you need the water for a different part of the game. I think it would be fun to play on the touch, except I am not great at coding so I can't make it myself. The source code is available in a few places, google "The Colossal Cave Adventure".

You can try playing it here, click the black box and press spacebar to start it!

http://www.astrodragon.com/zplet/advent.html
  2. tlknocke

tlknocke New Member

They already have a few (I think 3) of these in the installer.

Hope this helps!
  3. d00m42

d00m42 Member

do you know their names? and are they a clone of the original?
  4. d00m42

d00m42 Member

Does anyone know their names on Installer? I haven't ever seen them before...
  5. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    the frotz zork z-code emulator
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Yes, it's called Frotz. It's a Z-Machine interpreter for Infocom games. (Z-Machine is the name of Infocom's text adventure engine. I don't know what version Frotz supports up to, but I imagine all of the strictly text-based ones work fine -- probably not so much for Return to Zork or Zork Zero) Three of the Zork games are also available on the same repo to use with Frotz, and you can find more on the net if you search.