G1 vs. iPhone? I don't think so!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tman47, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Google G1 mobile phone versus Apple iPhone

Price:
    G1 = free on contract with T-Mobile,
    contracts likely to start from about £30 per monthiPhone = free on some contracts with O2,
    monthly tariffs start from £30 per month

Weight:
    G1 = 158g
    iPhone = 133g

Battery life:

G1 = 5 hours talk time, 130 hours standby
    iPhone = 5 hours talk time, 300 hours standby

Screen size:
    G1 = 3.2in
    iPhone = 3.5in

Camera:

G1 = 3-megapixel
    iPhone = 2-megapixel

Capacity:
    G1 = 2GB, expandable to 8GB
    iPhone = 8GB or 16GB

Key features:
    G1 = touchscreen, Qwerty keyboard, internet access via 3G and Wi-Fi, additional downloadable content, one-click access to Google search services, built-in GPS and compass for easy navigation, push Google email, instant messaging.
    iPhone = touchscreen, virtual keyboard, multi-touch gesture support, web access via 3G and Wi-Fi, additonal downloadable applications, GPS and Google Maps, push-email, full web browsing.

Extra applications:
    G1 = extra software downloadable from Android Market. Includes games, such as Pac-Man, and useful software, such as Shop Savvy, which allows users to take photographs of a product barcode, send it to Google, and then retrieve price comparison results.
    iPhone = extra programs and software downloadable from Apple App Store, including games such as Super Monkey Ball, and other applications, such as language dictionaries, travel guides, restaurant recommendations.

Entertainment:
    G1 = one-touch music downloads from Amazon MP3 store, 2GB integrated storage, expandable to 8GB.
    iPhone = one-touch music downloads from iTunes music store, choose from 8GB or 16GB storage. ​
    Courtesy of The Telegraph

As you can see, this may be the SECOND best touch screen phone...
    Sure there's an open platform, but there wont be nearly as many as developers for the G1, at least until android is released on more phones...
    and i dont think the developer community will be nearly as large as the iPhones since so many people have iPod touches as well.
    also obviously no unlock yet, however there probably will be.
    no video support, only comes with a 1gb memory card, and NO HEADPHONE JACK, you need an adapter for the usb port.
    The touchscreen is obviously not as responsive as the iphones, which i personally hate, other people may like that though... you can see in the cnet video when he tries to touch the picture options he has trouble at first.
    T-mobile doesnt have very good 3g coverage yet, and at least here in the US they arent a huge carrier...

So i dont think that the G1 is an iPhone killer, not by a long shot.

But android OS has the potential to be a good competitor with the iPhone.
  2. donkeychill

donkeychill Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Yea theres the iPhone but i'm kinda liking the G1 a little more.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

iphone ftw
    nothing will beat the iphone because apple will just keep it better and better than other competetions
  4. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    jep

iPhone rulez
  5. JayWalker

JayWalker New Member

Anything with the word 'Google' will sell.
    Anything with the word 'Apple' will sell more, especially if it's a phone.

iPhone rules and you all know it

6. EMForce

EMForce New Member

the G1 is not claimed to be an iphone killer and shouldn't be compared the G1 is a mulit-control device (track ball,keyboard, and touch screen) for the developer to make a wide variety of applications with out any limitation like "the screen only" iphone.the hardware suits it purpose. the G1 is flag ship for the Android revolution, apple's iphone started it and Android will dominate it
  7. rmc08

rmc08 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    The G1 is sorta better, except it doesn't have multi-touch, which I've come to know and love

And the G1 does have that sick barcode thing.
  8. kingkai

kingkai New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    ive been a fan of htc devices for years but the g1 makes me feel ill i hate it and htc sliders never seem to get thinner
    ive always loved the ease of typing but that knobbley end looks like a hinderance