Future apps/games will NOT be easy to pirate... TUAW explains why.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by Jodymitoma, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

Source: http://www.tuaw.com/
  2. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Actual factual info (from Erica, no less)

So this is what we're really up against. Signed, encrypted certs to enable iTunes installed apps.

There's good news and bad news here. If you can self-sign apps in the SDK, then it should be possible for a healthy 3rd party software ecosystem (ie, all the folks who have made apps up to now, via the jailbreak path) to make and deploy freeware that is installed via itunes, or whatever other method works - seems like you can already push files onto a 1.1.3 ipod touch just fine.

If you can't self-sign, then goodbye freeware unless the entire cert system is cracked - that would be the bad news.

So, hm. Will apple do the Good thing (self signing) or the evil thing (no self signing, itunes as the stranglehold for applications with Apple as the gatekeeper)

Frankly, I can really live without the pirated apps - I'd buy them if I wanted them - but killing the whole third-party open/freeware development thing will do it for me. The ipod touch will just become a media player, and no more.
  3. ace2525

ace2525 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    If this is anything like the ipod games I hacked on my 5g ipod then this will get cracked..

also how come there locking this sh*t down so tight when in february there opening it up to 3rd party apps which will make this upgrade pack useless..
  4. Applefan69

Applefan69 New Member

Yeah, thats so true.... quite frankly unless i see big updates and applications that i REALLY want, then im gonna keep using 1.1.1 jailbroken.

Right now, i got every application and feature that i need, PLUS more features that apple still hasn't included. PLUS i got iPhone apps for free... so i voided my warranty? big freakin deal, i can restore my iPod to factory settings if i need to send my iPod in, and apple wont be able to do a damn thing about it.

Normally i'd feel unethical about my above attitude, but the way apple is acting is bugging me, so i don't care...
  5. CorranQ

CorranQ New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Honestly, with their track record, my gamble's on Apple locking it down completely to iTunes - however, this doesn't necessarily mean that a JailBreak method won't be able to have some kind of workaround for our favorite jailbreak apps to be added without having to use iTunes... Granted, how this affects pirated software is a different story, though if priced reasonably (not that I feel the app pack right now is reasonable for different reasons), it may simply be an issue of buying official third party software while jailbreaking to allow for the freely developed software that we've seen so far to still be added...

Whatever the case, I don't doubt someone will figure out how to hack the itunes encryptions :-S They've already figured out how to activate the apps from the firmware for free as is!
  6. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

take a guess...
  7. nbx909

nbx909 New Member

it would have to be decripted to be read on the iPod so assuming jailbreak happens and we get ssh: person 1 buys and installs then sshes them over zips it up for apptap and there we go
  8. sct_nh

sct_nh New Member

but if the apps need to be signed...
  9. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, no one has any reading comprehension these days.

The encrypted, digitally signed manifest is the part you need to crack, and since its signed to the installer's itunes account, that's yet another hurdle (and traceback, perhaps, to the original purchaser)

Copy files all you want, they don't run without the key - kinda like a car, or DRM music.

Apple managed to shut down the DRM end-run on its music. That's still not cracked since iTunes 7 came out.

I think we're going to have to start hoping for a less-evil Apple when it comes to the SDK. Open SDK & ability to install apps outside of itunes store (but maybe even still needing to use itunes itself) means happy good times continue with cool apps, without the need for jailbreak. Closed SDK with Apple as the keymaster and only distributed via iTunes store means no fun for us, or forever stuck in 1.1.2

They don't have to be evil. Really.
  10. iatealitlebabie

iatealitlebabie New Member

A lot of you people aren't reading the threads fully. In reality there is only like 25 threads in this sub forum, the rest are duplicates with different topics. Really frustrating.

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT: I wanted to reply to the guy before me... Exactly Correct! IF YOU ARE READING MY POST GO BACK UP AND READ THE GUY BEFORE ME AND QUIT ASKING THE SAME QUESTIONS OVER AND OVER IN DIFFERENT THREADS....

Apple is basically saying that if a program is going to be on your iPod its going to have to go through iTunes if you want to use our SDK... Which in turn, they are going to charge us for. And if what he says about the Music DRM is correct... its going to be tough to get an app working that was developed with the SDK.