Fully charged Itouch Battery dying overnight

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pammy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. pammy

pammy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hello. I received a new 32GB 3rd generation Itouch for Christmas this past December. It has never had this issue until this week. I charged my itouch overnight with a wall charger and verified the battery was 100% charged and put it into sleep mode. I turned it on the next day, and the itouch had powered down because the battery was completely drained. The first time it happened this week, I thought that I must have not had the plug, plugged in tight on the itouch or in the power receptical, so I charged it up fully overnight again, verified it was 100% charged, and put it to sleep. The same thing again the next day and again a 3rd time. This Itouch is not jailbroken and I haven't upgraded the IOS since the intitial set up, because of bugs a lot of people reported. I have read where others have had this issue, and people recommended that they either shut off wi-fi when they put the itouch to sleep, or they recommend they completely power it down when it's not being used. I'm not sure why I would need to do either one of those things, since I have had no battery issues at all until this week. I always just put it to sleep rather than powering it all the way down, and the battery lasts days before needing to be recharged again. Any suggestions? Thanks! Pam
  2. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Well I would recommend turning off wifi to see if it has the same effect. If it does, then I'd try a restore. If the problem still continues, then you need to get your battety replaced.
  3. pammy

pammy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks HeadReaper. I'll try that tonight, but as I said, I've never had to turn off Wi-Fi and never had an issue with the battery dying. Pam
  4. HeadReaper

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I know. Just trying to narrow down the causes so we can pin-point what's actually causing it.
  5. ItsAirWick

ItsAirWick Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Are you on 4.0? If you are, remember to turn off the apps on your multitask. And remember to check your settings and turn off any unneeded settings (Bluetooth, etc). If that doesn't fix it, bring your iPod Touch to the apple store for a replacement.
  6. pammy

pammy New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I shut off WiFi yesterday and put my Itouch to sleep with 100% battery life. Woke up this morning and it's still at 100% battery. What I did notice, was that there was an app that was in the middle of downloading an update when I turned my Itouch on yesterday after fully charging it all night. So....when you put your itouch to sleep, it's not really fully in sleep mode??? It seems more like a screensaver than a sleep mode.
    Now that the application finished downloading the update, I turned wi-fi back on and put it into sleep mode. Curious to see if it significantly drains the battery with no apps trying to update. FYI... I'm running IOS v3.1.2 (no jailbreak). Would it be safe at this point to update to 4.0? I've avoided any IOS upgrades due to all the bugs people have reported. Thanks for the suggestions with this issue!!
    Pam
  7. IpodTouch10

IpodTouch10 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Maybe your battery has been damaged???
  8. elimelim

elimelim New Member

exact problem here.

woke up this morning to find my ipod touch 3rd gen down to 20% from 90%
  9. HeadReaper

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Glad you found a cause. Now to wait and see if that's the main cause. Yes it is safe to upgrade to 4.0 it always was. Most the time people mistake user error (something that's their fault, or just not being in the know) for software error. Some people just never want to be wrong, you know? But in OS4 the wifi remains always on even in sleep mode (with or without a program needing it) unless you turn it off or turn on airplane mode. That's just something to watch out for. Something else to watch for is multitasking, every app you use will be put in the multitasking bar. So be sure to clean it out to often to suit your needs.
  10. eric8205

eric8205 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Maybe you left your music playin but the sound is off...that's what happens to me sometimes. Idk why I don't just turn the music off altogether xD