full windows alternative?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by lgchicken, May 10, 2008.

1. lgchicken

lgchicken New Member

is this toolchain (am i in the right section?)
    like the psp one, where you have to compile, copy the app across, restart springboard, launch app ect,
    or is it more like jiggy and the offical one (i dont have a mac you see)
    where you can run code instantly with a direct connection, and can send debugging back to the computer?
    are there any like this? becuase im using jiggy and apparently that is going obselete.

edit: also, is the code from this very compatible with this or future mac versions?

thanks for the time
  2. optimo

optimo New Member

currently the open-toolchain has no debugger or direct connection. it's a compiler/linker and you copy the app files over to the device and respring (or refresh). The offical SDK is virtually the same set of tools, but packaged with XCode for a text editor. Thats whats so cool about the open toolchain, since MacOSX is unix derivative its the same compilers and such.

The GCC compiler will report errors and warnings, so you can solve problems this way. ie: Error Line 14: something is wrong (you would check line 14)

The official SDK for Macs has some debugging stuff, probably better tool if you require a debugger. I've heard that its not a big deal if you write well

in either case, the code and apps you create are fully cross-compatible so long as you are using the most up-to-date versions of the toolchain

above all, it has been said the official SDK is crippled purposely by apple to have less functionality than the open tools. for security. also, the open-tool apps require your users are jailbroken in the first place(a downside for some companies) theres still thousands of people that will not jailbreak
    1 person likes this.
  3. lgchicken

lgchicken New Member

ok, thanks
    can ss be used to copy and run the apps automatically?
    i read threads about running this through ssh console ect, is that possible to tag on the end of a compile process?
    what are the differences with running through console on the computer (i think i read it runs as root, but can you also send messages back to the computer?)

edit: is this what this gy has done on his compass app?

Please Register or Log in to view images

where it outputs the angles mid running...
    thats all the "debugging" options i think that i need
    easy to do?
  4. lws

lws Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Yes, that is plain easy. Just use the NSLog call.

example: NSLog(@"%@ %d", @"variable a is", a);

this will be printed to the terminal, so in order to see it you will have to run you application remotely via ssh, you can then watch all your "debugging" messages on the big screen and stop the process at any time by hitting ctrl+c. there is no other way to stop it anyway

there is no premade method to store those messages to a file. you'll have to write one on your own, if you need it. good luck!
  5. lgchicken

lgchicken New Member

okay thanks you two