FTPing songs TO ipod--where are songs stored?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DoctorRon, Nov 15, 2009.

1. DoctorRon

DoctorRon New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello there,

Sorry if this post shouldn't be in the Tech forum...I'm new here.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyhow, I have a jailbroken ipod that I use as a mobile UNIXterm. I need to know if its possible to FTP music to the ipod. If so, where does it go? Is there a hierarchical directory structure for music/movies/apps that I'm not finding?

I am a UNIX administrator (and a CCNE), so anyone who knows this doesn't have to "dumb down" the answer too much...all I'm looking for is what dirs the files are in. I know the whole process of USING ftp pretty well, and my ipod is root-accessible.

I'd like to not use any program to do this except my Mac FTP client (Fetch) or the command line if at all possible...but if anyone knows of a good free prog to ul/dl songs from the ipod that's great, let me know. My main thing here is that, for my sanity, I need to know where those files are!

Thank you so much,

DoctorRon
  2. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    you can upload/download them, but they wont show up in your ipod unless you sync them with itunes because it uses a special protocol.

and if you download them off your ipod, theyll have weird alphanumeric names.

And i dont remember where are they located
  3. DoctorRon

DoctorRon New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey Jim,

That's what I thought...I found the "weirdly tagged" music files and album art...was just hoping that they were cached files or something.

My issue is that I am running a MacMini with 10.3.9 and I cannot load the new version of itunes...hence the touch is not recognized. Well, it is, but itunes 9 says it won't support it. Another Apple scam...I don't want to even TRY running Snow Leopard on this machine, even if I could (its a G4). I think that locking down the ipod/iphone with no native chroot capability and DRM was a bad mistake--although it hasn't stopped me (us) from buying one...curiously.

Alas, my two laptops both run Linux (Ubuntu on one, Xandros on the other) and I just don't have the $$ for a new Mac or to buy a copy of Win7--even if I did I wouldn't want to run it as it is a resource hog like nothing I've ever seen.

Thanks,

DoctorRon
  4. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    although i inly understood half of the things you said, haha, your welcome, glad i helped a little