Frustrated with iPod Touch.. Wi-Fi Issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lizziec, Jun 23, 2009.

1. lizziec

lizziec New Member

I recently purchased an iPod Touch. I am thrilled with it. I love the e-mail. I've put on Skype. It all works like a dream, but only in my house, with my wi-fi. I live in New York City and am shocked at how unavailable free wi-fi is.

It is becoming clear that I will have to subscribe to a service like Boingo or IPass. Has anyone had experience with either. Is one better than the other. Are there others out there?

Any advice would be appreciated. I've got the wonderful device but can't, for the most part, use it.

FYI-- I have a second generation that I just upgraded to 3.0
  2. Duykur

Duykur Banned

So why are you frustrated with the device?

These city wide wifi access points are pretty good, as long as they:
    a) have good coverage
    b) Good speed, between 1-4 mbps
    c) Reasonable price, under $20 per month
    d) unlimited access
  3. lizziec

lizziec New Member

I'm not frustrated with the device. I'm frustrated that I have this great device and can't use it because I can't access Wi-Fi.
  4. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    yes, your frustrations are with wi-fi providers and not the device itself. i'd download a wi-fi finder app like WifiTrak or WifiFinder.
    WifiTrak will show up all Wi-Fi's (locked and unlocked) within the device's range at any given time and will connect on to any you ask it too. You'd be surprised how much free wifi there is around you and in your area. and without a tool like this you'd never know. it's one of my most valuable apps when out and about.
  5. lizziec

lizziec New Member

Okay, I've signed up for Boingo (I gather iPass is not working with 3.0) and I've downloaded WifiFinder. Is there anything else I can do?
  6. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    yup, download wifitrak. it's different from finder and acts purely as a wifi detector giving you the option to try to connect or not. it'll show you all the available wifi's within range that you'd otherwise not know about.