Front Row On iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by GetInLine1, Nov 24, 2007.

1. GetInLine1

GetInLine1 New Member

I have been kicking around the idea of buying an AppleTV or a Mac Mini for a media center setup. I was looking at apples website and I noticed the new universal dock for iPods. This dock includes the same remote as apple tv and the mac mini, it allows you to use component cables to connect to your tv. If someone could get front row running on the iPod touch, I would simply need the dock and I have my media center! I could leave the dock hooked up to the tv, when I want to watch some movies or shows, simply drop the ipod in the dock, fire up front row and potentially stream my media from one of my macs. I am not capable of doing this myself but I'm thinking this should be possible. I doubt front row has so much overhead that it is unable to run on the ipod. It's gotta be possible!!
  2. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, considering Front Row is proprietary software from Apple, I'm thinking it's not some simple 'hack' to get it working on a totally different platform. More like a rewrite of the application from scratch. And since the interface for the iPod Touch does NOT get transferred to the TV (only the actual video is output) you'd be looking at a 4" screen for the interface from across the room...

Thank you for playing. Please spin again.
  3. GetInLine1

GetInLine1 New Member

Spinning again.

Derek here are my thoughts:

>> Well, considering Front Row is proprietary software from Apple, I'm thinking it's not some simple 'hack' to get it working on a totally different platform.

Thank you for enlightening me on the fact that Front Row is proprietary software. People have gotten Front Row running on a variety of machines that it was not intended to run on. Granted this feat is much easier because those devices happen to be intel or power pc based. I understand the ipod touch is ARM and without the source it can not be ported and recompiled. Perhaps I should have been more clear and said we need a Front Row clone.

>>And since the interface for the iPod Touch does NOT get transferred to the TV (only the actual video is output) you'd be looking at a 4" screen for the interface from across the room...

With the amount of skilled developers out there I seems absurd to think that this hurdle could not be overcome.

>>Thank you for playing. Please spin again.

Thank you for being a condescending asshole who wasted their time and offered no real insight. You must lead a very productive life with all the time you waste responding to topics on message boards simply to showcase your ignorance.
  4. rvchamne

rvchamne New Member

>>Thank you for playing. Please spin again.

Thank you for being a condescending asshole who wasted their time and offered no real insight. You must lead a very productive life with all the time you waste responding to topics on message boards simply to showcase your ignorance.[/QUOTE]

derekVOF, dude, you got served.

kudos for not putting up with the elitist bullsh*t that runs rampant on this board.
    People ask because that's what a forum is for. sharing knowledge. not a bunch of jackholes making snide comments at everyone who hasn't spent as much time in thier mom's basement lusting over techincal manuals.

help people out, be polite or seriously, jsut stay off the damn baord and be a contrite bastard on your own time so i don't have to write responses as this.