Front Row for Windows

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Parm289, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I've been trying to Leopardify my XP PC for a while, and one of the coolest features of OS X is Front Row. This has been pretty much the one missing piece in my quest for Leopardification, and especially considering Touchpad Pro for iPod touch, I was thinking:

Front Row Clone + Touchpad = Ultimate Media Thingy (in regular terms, as close to Front Row + Apple Remote as possible)

So I searched around and found one post that suggested the J.River Media Center as an option. Of course, I went and downloaded the free trial. I installed it, configured it, selected skins, and pointed it to my media folders. I started it up, and switched into "Theater View."

To put it simply, I was amazed.

I was amazed at the functionality and semi-eye candy. The functionality is there, with the ability to play audio, video, cds, dvds, tv (if you have a tv card), show images, display news, and give you detailed information on the weather. Yes, I said weather.

The eye candy - I say "semi" for a reason. It seems like the basis of a graphical wonderland is there, but scrolling (at least with touchpad) is a little rough, visualizations arent quite up to par, and there are limited options for displaying album art (all of which it didnt import - not a biggie for me, but maybe for others who have larger libraries).

Despite the complaints, I really loved the functionality this app had to offer, especially coupled with Touchpad. This combo really outdoes the Touchpad media server - sure, the touchpad server integrates with itunes, but J.River imports your media seamlessly (and quickly), and has much cooler eye-candy. Sure, I'm not going to use the J.River media player everytime I wanna listen to some music, but it's a really cool (and more functional) replacement for Apple's Front Row.

Overall, for me, this app gets 8/10. The media center "Theater view" suits my Front Row craving, and it's usability with touchpad makes the ipod touch effectively an Apple Remote. A downside I forgot to mention that probably should lower the score even more is the navigation - in the "Theater View", the navigation is a little bit complex, and controls for volume/playback options should be better placed. All in all, this app fits my needs nicely and has some good graphics to go along with that functionality.

If you guys want some screenshots, feel free to ask. I will provide.

Of course, the J.River Media Center will set you back some $40.00, but I'm sure you all know where to get a full version with a patch or something...
  2. batman27

batman27 Banned

i have a mac and when i first got it i was amazed with front-row, now i don't give a crap about it and i haven't used it in like 6 months. But Leopard OWNZ/PWNZ Vista, i have both just in-case
  3. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, I think it's really useful when you're multitasking (or not sitting at your computer) and want to listen to some music without pluggin in those ipod headphones. I think it's a little overrated and gets old quickly, but the app is still very useful for me.
  4. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

QFT!!!

That and Photo Booth!
  5. batman27

batman27 Banned

What does QFT stand for?
    Yeah photoboth is boring now, although my friends find it very amusing

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Virtualball

Virtualball Well-Known Member

7. Parm289

Parm289 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    QFT = quoted for truth. Basically he thinks the same thing you do.

Wow beat me by a second. Must be because im on my touch...
  8. dualcorex

dualcorex New Member

WFTMFT. Quoted for the motha fkn truth