Front Page Sourcing

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by iPoTH4CK3R, Apr 30, 2010.

1. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Needs to be more. JKK is the only one I ever really see who cites his sources. And EVERY news article has a source. (except of course opinions and things of that nature).

Just sayin'.
  2. Shawa

Shawa Super Moderator

Device:
    Nexus 4
    All of the ones I see have sources?

Click the 'read more' link to see the rest of the article, it's probably just there.
  3. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I clicked quite a few and didn't see any. And if I am totally wrong and they all do have them and I'm missing them, well they really should be on the front page post anyways instead of after the read more link. Just more professional to give credit up front to those who deserve it. I mean of course the articles here are totally original (and really good too!) but the base idea of them all came from somewhere else and this should be displayed imo.
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Sources, are only cited where we have copied the text from another site. Otherwise it is all our own content and is passed on through the internet, just like all the other news sites.
  5. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yes but you got the idea somewhere. Even if you didn't directly copy/paste words you still have to source because you read (made up example) that "the iPhone baseband is now unhackable" somewhere. Unless you discovered that "the iPhone baseband is now unhackable" all on your own (i.e. you hacked, read code, tested it all, came to a conclusion etc.) then you read it somewhere else and you have to source this. Or rather, you are supposed to source this.
  6. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Very few ideas are entirely original, and in any case, these are not formal research papers, they're blog posts ffs. Also, even in research papers, generally known facts do not need to be cited. For example, if I say that the Nile river is about 4000 miles long, I don't need to cite a source for that. There's always room for improvement, and we will make efforts to include source links when appropriate, but at the same time, we can't be unreasonable here.
  7. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

Even if it's not plagiarism, it'd still be nice if the source was there so someone could read the original news too.
  8. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I post the sources (plagiarism aside) for further reading.

I know that whenever I find a story I like, I read multiple articles on it (different insight/opinion/information), and a source link is much easier than Googling and finding another article about the same subject.

I'd like to see it put in place as well.
  9. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I understand your point here, but unless we have copy/pasted information from elsewhere, a source is not needed. A source link must be put only if the information is exclusive to another site, the information is valuable to another site or if you think the reader would want to know more about that particular topic.

If there's no need to put a link to drive traffic to another site, then we really shouldn't.
  10. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Look through here, and tell me how many posts do not have a source link.

Definitely some don't, but many do. Engadget (which is currently arguably the most popular tech site out there) drives traffic to other sites. I honestly can't say that its imperative to put links, but they are helpful. It isn't right to use sources from a story, to use what someone else has discovered (even if they aren't copy/pasted from that site) is wrong, IMO.