Fring and VoIP (WiFi calls) [Help]

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nick Thorp, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Nick Thorp

Nick Thorp New Member

Ok, so I am new to the iPod Touch. I know the basics but I just started hearing and reading about VoIP capabilities through things like Skype and Fring. I knew I was missing something when I tried to test making a landline call and it told me "Unsupported URL". Now I am not at a 100% understanding of how this all works. I know I can make calls from my iPod Touch through chat programs such as MSN and I tested it and it works fine. The question I have is how can I make voice calls with Fring to cell phones and landlines? I assume it is going to cost me money which is fine (if I'm wrong even better).

I looked around the forums and couldn't really get a grasp still on the information I'm looking for. Can anyone simply explain to me (in steps may help

Please Register or Log in to view images

) how I would go about using Fring to make voice calls to cell phones or landline phones? Any recommendations on services would be great, too (like skype I think?).

Any help is appreciated. I also apologize ahead of time if someone already posted a "How To" for VoIP and I just didn't find it in my searching.

-Nick
  2. onandon

onandon New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    1. if you want to make a voice call, you need to have a iphone or itouch2g+earphone with mic. (currently, no mic works for itouch 1generation)
    2. register your SIP or skype account and get enough credits
    3. start fring, go to the tab "more->Add-ons->SIP or skype" to configure your SIP or skype account.
    If your sip provider is not listed, go to "other" in SIP configuration. Normally, its proxy starts with sip, e.g. "sip.example.com"
    4. go to dialer to make a call. the phone number should be international format.

for more you can check the voip/telephony subform
    http://www.ifans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68
  3. Nick Thorp

Nick Thorp New Member

Oh I forgot to mention that I do have a 2g iPod Touch. Thanks for the link and information.