FreeBSD dual boot

Discussion in 'Linux' started by dima the great, Jan 15, 2009.

1. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    So I'm about to install FreeBSD on one of the partitions on my XP desktop and the only question that remains is will my XP boot if I format my second partition (or the D drive). My other partition (or C drive) is where Windows is installed, so I've got a pretty typical install.
  2. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    FreeBSD is NOT Linux.

In UNIX-like systems, drives are not named (C drive, D drive, etc.), rather, you mount their file system to a specific directory, and then you can browse, so the system treats it as if it were in its file system.

I've never dual-booted Windows with FreeBSD (and don't intend to), so I wouldn't know if the FreeBSD bootloader is capable of booting Windows.
  3. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes I understand BSD is not Linux, duh, I've used Failbuntu for a while. In fact the FreeBSD bootloader isn't suggested for Windows/BSD dual booting, GRUB works best.

Anyways my question is will formatting the second partition or the D drive in Windows stop it from functioning. Reason being that on the FreeBSD forums a user said that XP could stop working if the second partition were to be taken away.