Free Wifi Map

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by emjoi, Feb 28, 2008.

1. emjoi

emjoi New Member

A suggestion.
    I may even have a shot at doing it some day.

The user is wandering the streets with his pod, testing out available wifi connections in Settings->Wifi, as I'm sure everyone does.
    Then Bingo! You find one that connects and lets you browse! Usually outside some coffee shop.

What you do then is start up FreeWifiMap, which presents the user with a GoogleMaps display.
    The user selects his location on the Map, a dialog pops up that fills in the Wifi connection's name, the date it was found and strength.
    He hits "OK" and the data is sent off to a MySQL database somewhere.

So, now we are collecting free wifi spots, including the location, name, strength and date in a database.

The user can choose to view this database, drawn onto the map. He can try out other users' suggestions, and can confirm that a wifi connection exists, or note that it's no longer there. So each connection gets Ebay-like positive and negative points, which get displayed. Too many recent negatives, and the connection is dumped from the Database.

There would of course have to be some caching, preloading, and delayed writing to the database so that the program could be used when the Pod isn't connected to the net.

And so in time, a worldwide database of free wifi is built up.

How much this is automated depends on how much the programmer can hack into the Wifi code, and GoogleMaps.

So.
    There.
    My idea as I walked the streets of Melbourne, Australia last night.
    1 person likes this.
  2. TrckySki123

TrckySki123 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    this would kick so much ass!
  3. beezy

beezy New Member

great idea, anbody up for it?
  4. padsquad43

padsquad43 New Member

haha im sure this wont come about. seems like too much work
  5. blackjak231

blackjak231 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Yea, that is an awesome idea!!
  6. ipod touch fan

ipod touch fan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    that would be an awesome idea. But do you imagine they could release and app that lets u crack internet passwords. O yeah. that would be cool.
  7. emjoi

emjoi New Member

Well, there would be a bit, but it's not that scary. GoogleMaps is already there as an app. I believe it works offline, perhaps another program could take advantage of it.
    And someone's already created an iPhone version of Stumbler for detecting wifi.
    There's a big chunk of your code pre-written.

So it's mainly dialog box generation, and connecting to a remote database, and a bit of logic.

It's not that bad. The main issue is committing to keeping a permanent database running somewhere.

Ideally, you'd start up the app, stick your Touch in your pocket, and just walk around as it records connections. But that would need either a GPS or that GoogleMaps trick of locating you using known wifi points to be more accurate.
    It has to be pretty accurate because many Wifi points only work to a range of a few 10's of metres.

And sure, if someone gets a WEP cracker sorted out, the code for that could be crowbarred in.
  8. tlknocke

tlknocke New Member

Ha. This would be killer.

But good luck re-writing google maps to incorporate this in there.
  9. padsquad43

padsquad43 New Member

hm...your rightt. not that much work. whos up for it?
  10. Juni44ever

Juni44ever Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Would be a nice app, since my parents really enjoy to hid the router and the modem, so I'll just grab my bike and check the nearest wi-fi spot ( which is McDonalds xD )