Free Starbucks WiFi

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by chris8535, Nov 17, 2007.

1. chris8535

chris8535 New Member

Well everyone knows about the free connection to the itunes store at Starbucks, but I also noticed that you can use all the apple apps (except mail/safari) to access the internet as well.

I had forgotten my company's t-mobile account pw, and while kicking myself, i tried google maps anyways, and found that it worked.

I don't know why they did this... maybe so you could access your maps faster than edge... but it still seems strange because the only people it really seems to benefit is touch owners who jailbreak...

any ideas? Maybe Apple is just being nice?

(I assume this only works in the areas where it has been rolled out with the special starbucks/itunes deal)
  2. jadphoto

jadphoto New Member

Wait can I use mail and safari or not?
  3. grizzjr1

grizzjr1 Member

I am pretty shure that EVERY Starbucks has Wi-Fi, and you can get it on safari and stuff. I even got internet on my PSP!
  4. chris8535

chris8535 New Member

um...

Every starbucks has pay wifi, the PSP gets limited free access I believe though. You simply didn't read what I had said, or don't understand pay-per-access.
  5. cowboyshootist

cowboyshootist New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Go to Tully's they have free WiFi. Stop by Starbucks and get the free download then go buy coffee at Tully's or the thousands of other places that have free access. Many hotels offer free access in the lobby.
  6. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    every starbucks has free access around here. they dont make you pay to use it at all. you just walk by starbucks, hit "Starbucks" on your ipod, and you're surfing the net. and as for hotels, most of their wifi you can access from th parking lot as well. their wifi has dual access points that cover the entire size of the hotel so that everyone can use the wifi in all the rooms. which in turn, broadcasts the wifi signal out to the parking lot (or if you're lucky enough to live behind a hotel)

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. grizzjr1

grizzjr1 Member

Oh sorry chris, every one around me is free. I was on my macbook in it the other day and like i said, also on my PSP.
  8. chris8535

chris8535 New Member

Wow where do you people live?!

I mean holy junk... I live in San Francisco and you have to pay top dollar for wifi access around here. How in the world do you guys get free WiFi access at starbucks. T-mobile signed an account with them, and everywhere I've been in the nation, it costs serious money to log on.

Maybe none of you are from metropolitan areas?
  9. skids

skids New Member

We had a visitor from work staying at our local Marriot and they were charging him £75 a week for internet access.

I was in Texas a couple of weeks back and the hotel charged $5 for the duration of the stay.

Good old rip off Britain!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    im from Milwaukee, WI.. so its a rather big city, while driving around i can grab about 20+ wifi a second.most of which are WEP encryption, but still. and like i said, wifi is free at starbucks. the only place that has pay wifi is mcdonalds because of their plan with AT&T. but even that is only $2.50 a month. and if you have AT&T internet in your own house, its free.