Free SMS app?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by poffin, Jan 25, 2010.

1. poffin

poffin New Member

Hi everyone, recently I got myself an iPod Touch and I am loving it. On youtube I saw some vids of sending free SMSes to other people using an app called TextPlus, but to my regrets I found out this only works in the USA. I live in the Netherlands so this won't work for me.

Now I would like to ask if someone know of an app which I can SMS with for free in Europe(or at least in the Netherlands) on my iPod touch. I don't need it to be able to receive SMSes on my iPod,it just have to be capable of sending free SMSes to other mobile phones.
  2. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

There is TextPlus and some others, but just get Google Voice and use the mobile site, it's ten times better.
  3. Magnum

Magnum New Member

I use TextPlus its really nice and easy to use.
  4. poffin

poffin New Member

Yes I understand there's the TextPlus app, but it only works in the US. So not in the Netherlands(Europe).

@Jawcl, Google Voice is only available in USA?

Please Register or Log in to view images

If anyone else got another recommendation of an app, I would be glad to hear it.
  5. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Oh, that's too bad.

Please Register or Log in to view images

. Also TextPlus doesn't work either. :\. Well, I'm really not sure then sorry.
  6. Cursayer

Cursayer Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I'm looking for one that works in Canada ;(
  7. poffin

poffin New Member

Please don't jack somebody else's thread. I am looking for an app that works in the Netherlands, not in Canada. So if anyone know of a free SMS app like that, please feel free to share it's name.
  8. jordskee

jordskee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  9. Cursayer

Cursayer Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I just found a free texting app that works globally, but because you acted selfishly, I'm not telling you it.
  10. Yorrick

Yorrick New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    @poffin-
    Since you have clearly done some research on this issue, you should know that most free sms apps are either USA-exclusive or international. Any advice helping Cursayer would obviously help you as well. You look rather selfish and foolish right now.

@Cursayer: I'm also in Canada and all the available apps suck! Just spent like 4 hours looking them over, PM me if you're actually on to something good. Actually just post it. The bickering is weak, and this hoser is soft, just go ahead and fully jack this thread.

@ anyone else looking for free sms, there really doesn't seem to be clear leader for international-compatible apps. I've been looking for one that allows for push notifications on texts (otherwise you would have to leave the app open), doesn't ask for the person's carrier each time, lets you enter a reply # or email and hopefully one where you can just select a name out of your address book (instead of having to enter the number manually).

I stumbled across Jelly SMS and it seems promising, but you have to create an account with some third party and I don't have the energy to bother with that kind of BS right now.

I did find one app that looks like what I'm after, but you do have to enter the carrier once for each contact and the logo for the old version looks really dumb. It's called iText Free ★ (Free SMS) - you can find it in the app store or whatever.

This is the in-browser version I'm using for now: "txtdrop.com/iphone" only works in USA and Canada though, sorry for jackin your thread, piffer, poffer, whatever your name was, but the thread is called "Free sms app" not "the internet is my private dutch army".

*NB. I did test both SMS gateways I mentioned and both worked. I haven't tried Jelly SMS but if I do I'll update this thread.