Free Memory: SBSettings vs. App store apps

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by outkast1, Jul 14, 2009.

1. outkast1

outkast1 New Member

Hey everybody,

I've noticed a substantial discrepancy in my available memory when looking at SBSettings compared to the 'Free Memory' app.

SBSettings typically shows I'm running about 40mb while the Free Memory app typically shows around 20mb. I'm hoping SBSettings is the accurate one here.

I'm interested in knowing if others have seen this and more importantly, I'm interested in opinions around which of the two is more accurate.

I'm running a 3G iPhone on 3.0 OS.

Any thoughts?

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Quadrant

Quadrant New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This happens to me too. When I free memory on Free Memory, SBSettings's free memory also goes up

But they are almost always different...
  3. steincj

steincj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Same here. Free Memory does a better job of freeing memory than SBSettings, IMO.
  4. Ryuzaki

Ryuzaki Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Yeah. Free Memory get a live reading rather SB refreshes every minute I think.
  5. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    SB Settings, wait a few seconds for refesh when you use it. Any other AppStore reading, Wait until next refresh... They are both about the same... They both will READ the same. When you open SB Settings, it shows you the FREE memory. It also covers up your "Free Mem" app's readings, they will be about the same. When you close SB Settings, it frees some memory, because SB Settings open uses some memory, but when it's closed, it uses less. That is the reason for different readings.
  6. outkast1

outkast1 New Member

They both will READ the same. When you open SB Settings, it shows you the FREE memory. It also covers up your "Free Mem" app's readings, they will be about the same. When you close SB Settings, it frees some memory, because SB Settings open uses some memory, but when it's closed, it uses less. That is the reason for different readings.

Thanks for the response, I do appreciate it, but I'm not sure if this is the case. It would make sense that having SBSettings open would use some memory but the free memory I see available here is actually more than the 'Free Memory' app.

Also, I can open the Free Memory app and also open SBSetting on top of it. Because it's translucent I can see the free memory on both the app and the SBsettings. Even waiting for SBS to refresh there is still a 15-20mb discrepancy: the Free Mem app is always around 15-20 while SBS is always 30-40.

They do tend to move up and down together so I am almost starting to think that using the FM app may be the culprit, but 15-20mb for an app supposed to 'Free Memory'... Doesn't sound right.
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    There's four sections of memory: free, active, inactive and wired. It depends on what is being calculated as 'free memory' by each app. Some memory readouts add in 'inactive' memory to 'free' memory, i.e. memory that is not used but has been held for recently active apps. I think this may be where the discrepancy is. When you free up memory you effectively close down background apps and clear this cache.

I was going to expand on this thread to discuss the different types of memory and what they are used for but didn't think anyone would really be interested.
  8. DaveL

DaveL Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Another app you may like to look at is Memory Status, it shows all 4 segments an has 2 levels of memory freeing, I also use Free Memory and I've noticed the same things.
  9. outkast1

outkast1 New Member

Studangerous, DaveL,

*Lightbulb going off*

Thanks! That makes sense and definitely helps. Wasn't aware of the 4 variables so I think I'll try Memory Status.

Edit: Studangerous- fantastic tutorial on that other thread above!

Cheers