Free / Cheap Repository web hosts?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by MooTheCow, Feb 8, 2008.

1. MooTheCow

MooTheCow New Member

I've spent a few days looking (and searching this forum

Please Register or Log in to view images

), and it seems like there's a million people wanting to host my repository for free, but none quite match what I'm after. Actually, I'm not really too bothered with hosting a repository, I'm more concerned with getting my Apps out there, and tracking the downloads.

And since we're presumably after the same thing, I thought I'd start a thread so people can recommend good web hosts they've found.

Some necessary things are:-

1) The ability to track downloads of the repository XML and the Zip files. There's no point in putting an app out there IMHO unless you know people are using it. The only way I've found using GooglePages (otherwise excellent) to log traffic is to track a _link_ to the zip file. I can't see how this would work with the installer as it goes straight to the file itself. So any potential web host needs to be able to show you weblogs and number of individual downloads per file. Preferably in a nice graph over time!

2) Bandwidth. This needs to be big. So, say I have a 5mb app, and I want to offer that up to the jailbroken masses, and supposing the app is at least attractive enough that people want to try it once. How many downloads would that be? Take a look here for some figures: http://blog.psmxy.org/pkg-stats/ . Lights Off = 352,731 downloads... I know this is over a period of months, and, hey, my app might not be as attractive as Lights Off (which I chose at random to be a general "fun" app), but still! Anyway, 100Gb bandwidth (the largest I've found for free) represents only 20,000 5mb downloads, which is about the number of downloads my iPhysics Crayon Golf levelpack got a few months back, so seems quite feasable for a properly advertised (YouTube) app. BTW this is why I was attracted to GooglePages as from what I can see they have no bandwidth cap.

3) Space. This probably doesn't matter so much. Most sites seem to give you more than you'd need for iphone apps. And you'll be wanting to keep the size of a download down to keep the bandwidth down. However, some hosts seem to say they won't host files that are larger than 5mb, which is a bit mean.

So, anyone got any ideas?
    1 person likes this.
  2. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Somewhat Off-Topic: What site was it that allowed the 100GB of bandwidth free? Thanks
    1 person likes this.
  3. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Whoa 100GB for free!
  4. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    www.000webhost.com currently hosts my blog.

For free, you get 250MB space, and 100GB monthly bandwidth. cpanel 11 too. Free subdomain or bring your own domain.
    1 person likes this.
  5. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  6. simonrichards150

Device:
    iPod touch
    I was with them until they had those major issues with MySQL...

Downtime comes to about 3 weeks now..?

Are they stable again now?
  7. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I don't know

Please Register or Log in to view images

But if they're back...
    It's an awesome feedback.

I was using it until the huge changes they made. I'm on a dedicated server atm.
  8. simonrichards150

Device:
    iPod touch
  9. michigan033

michigan033 Banned

Yeah i have been looking for some good sites also
  10. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member