Free Alternatives to Illustrator and Photoshop. (No Piracy Needed)

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by Teslanaut, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I know the thread was closed, but for you guys:

Legend: W - Windows, L - Linux, M - Mac OS X

Alternatives to Adobe Photoshop:

W Paint.net - is an open source, raster graphics editing program for Windows, developed on the .NET Framework.

WLM GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program, or GIMP, is a raster graphics editor used to process digital graphics and photographs. Typical uses include creating graphics and logos, resizing and cropping photos, altering colors, combining multiple images, removing unwanted image features, and converting between different image formats. GIMP can also be used to create basic animated images in GIF format. It is often used as a free software replacement for Adobe Photoshop, the most widely used bitmap editor in the printing and graphics industries; however, it is not designed to be a Photoshop clone.

WLM GIMPShop - For those who don’t already know, the Gimp is a powerful, open source image editing application. For more info on the Gimp visit gimp.org. GIMPshop is essentially the same program with some cosmetic changes.

M Seashore - Seashore is an open source image editor for Mac OS X's Cocoa framework. It features gradients, textures and anti-aliasing for both text and brush strokes. It supports multiple layers and alpha channel editing. It is based around the GIMP's technology and uses the same native file format.

Alternatives to Adobe Illustrator:

M Drawit Lite - DrawIt is an easy-to-use, powerful image editing and drawing application designed for the Mac. It features entirely non-destructive editing, live filters, powerful vector tools, a standard collection of basic shapes and also a clear and intuitive interface. NOTE: There is a free trial for the Pro Version, I haven't really tried the free Trial because the Lite version is great by itself. Pro Version costs $42 USD after trial.

WLM InkScape - Inkscape is a vector graphics editor application. Its stated goal is to become a powerful graphic tool while being fully compliant with the XML, SVG and CSS standards.

L Skencil - Skencil is a Free Software interactive vector drawing appliction. Known to run on GNU/Linux and other UNIX-compatible systems, it is a flexible and powerful tool for illustrations, diagrams and other purposes. A somewhat unique (for a drawing program) feature of Skencil is that it is implemented almost completely in a very high-level, interpreted language, Python. Python is powerful, object-oriented and yet easy to use.

ML Xara - Xara LX is an open source version of the impressive Xara Xtreme, which has set a performance standard when is come to vector drawing applications. And eventhough Xara LX is not yet a fully operational drawing program it shows alot of potential. New features are being added almost weekly and stability is increasing - definately a product to keep an eye on.

Note: These are ALL FREE. Most are Open Source.

Resource for most of the links:
    OSalt.com: Open Source as an Alternative.
  2. x6blues

x6blues New Member

ty for writing this, it gets tiring, people wanting to steal the program. nice, well thought list
  3. ToXiC

ToXiC Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  4. htrapz

htrapz New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  5. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You Rhymed. I'm happy for you!
  6. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    2 quick questions:

1. Do any of these programs convert .jpg or .png to .bmp? I need to know because .bmp is the only format acceptable by ipod photos

2. If I SSH my ipod, where are the photos stored on 1.1.1?
  7. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    hello?

did any seen my sig? it is baicly the same since what? december? come on people! (i will add those site to my sig soon or never

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  8. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    iPod Touches support more than BMP, I do not know what you are talking about.

I have lots of Photos in my iPhoto of various formats and they sync fine.

I'm not sure where they go in SSH, I haven't jailbroken in a long time.

Sorry, I haven't even NOTICED you on the forums

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. freelancer91

freelancer91 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I got that information from somewhere on this forum. I tried syncing my ipod with .png and .jpg photos and it didn't work. After reading that post I converted to bitmaps and it worked. Before it didn't even recognize it.
  10. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    When you sync your Photos onto the iPod Touch, where is it getting the Photos From? What Folder I mean. Or is it an App? Like Picasa?