fps?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by berky93, Jan 10, 2008.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

I was playing iphone doom when I had a thought - why are there no other fps (first person shooter) games like this for the touch? I mean in doom the controlls are so messed up that its really hard to play. but if someone could just port another game thats fairly simple with maybe the same type of engine as dom but better controlls, it would kick ass! or maybe find a way to mod doom to have the right controlls?
  2. spinner

spinner New Member

I totally agree! And I still say we should have a wifi connected fps or fighting game. Then connect to your buds with wifi and kick their buts! (but thats asking a lot) But ya, exactly. No matter what wad I try, doom still crashes on me. But ya they should mod doom or make another fps.
  3. geordanuk

geordanuk New Member

That would be awesome! How about Duke Nukem? Shouldn't that be feasable through the Doom files?
  4. Jodymitoma

Jodymitoma New Member

taking it wayyy too far...

I'd like for someone to work on LEMMINGS, and JELLY CAR first....

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Doom used its own engine. Duke Nukem 3D used the Build Engine (along with Shadow Warrior, Redneck Rampage, and numerous others) which Ken Silverman (the author) released the source code to. I'm sure it would be very possible to port it to the Touch. The real question here is control: Build Engine games have a number of extra controls that Doom does not. (Inventory system, look and flight controls, individual controls for specific inventory items, etc.) Fitting those on-screen in a sensible manner would be even more difficult than Doom was. Essential controls for DN3D, for an absolute bare minimum, would be:

- Movement (forward/backward, turn left/right, aim up/down, move up (jetpack), jump, crouch)
    - Inventory (scroll inventory, use inventory item)
    - Action (fire, open door/activate button, weapon scroll)

That's a bare minimum of 14 controls -- I've even sacrificed strafing, moving down with the jetpack (you could turn off the jetpack and fall a ways to move down if you had to) and changed two-way scrolling through inventory/weapons to one-way scrolling just to cut down on the number of required controls. Everything else is required to make the game playable, and even that stripped-down control mechanism is going to be tricky to apply intuitively.

Not that I wouldn't love to see Duke on the Touch -- hell, yeah! -- but realistically this ain't gonna be easy.
  6. chaurjyh

chaurjyh New Member

here's my 2 cents:

we can start by considering Counterstrike 2D.... thats a good idea to port from for a FPS thats a lot of fun....