Found this on Craigslist, do you think it's scam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DemonIced, Sep 15, 2009.

1. DemonIced

DemonIced Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hi, this weekend I browsed Craigslist in hope of finding a cheap iPhone and found a couple.

I saw one that advertised an iPhone 3GS 32gb for 300$ and 2 for 500$ CAN. So I contacted the seller, then found out it was a scam (he wanted me to pay by eBay using Moneygram).

Now there are 2 others that seem interesting.

1)
    One that said in the first mail:

"I have 10 Iphones like this one here: Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB JUST RELEASED, made by APPLE Inc in USA,CA. NOT fake imitation from China, NOT refurbished, NOT CLONES. I can sell you one for 380$CAD, two for 500$CAD and 5 for 900$, if you buy more then 5 the price is negotiable. The phones are in box. Each package includes: iPhone 3GS 32GB, Unlocked and Jailbroken, comes with Box with charger, adapter, USB lead, headphones, everything.

Cheers,"

I said I was interested and wanted to see them in person (I live in Montreal), she answered:

"I live in Winnipeg,Manitoba on Main St. I have received a lot of emails from people interested so they will sell out fast. I must tell you that i cannot hold them or reserve them if someone agreads to buy them before you. If you are sure that you want them i can ship them to your home and will arrive in 12 hours.

Cheers,"

Finally, I asked to see if it was possible to have a proof the iPods were real, so something like a photo with timestamp or something. I'm now waiting for an answer. So what do you think? Probably a scam too huh?

Finally, perhaps to most intersting one.

I found an ad on Craigslist Montreal that said this:

Unlocked apple iphone 3gs 32gb - $350 (ottawa)
    Date: 2009-08-24, 12:53PM EDT

General 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
    3G Network HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
    Announced 2009, June
    Status Available. Released 2009, June
    Size Dimensions 115.5 x 62.1 x 12.3 mm
    Weight 135 g

(Then continues with an official description like on Apple website)

The person asked for 350$ USD.

I contacted the person and he said he was coming from the UK (suspicions here...) but that they had a branch in the US (weird since it is said Ottawa in the description).

He asked that I paid first because a) 30% went to the shipping charges and b) they have been ripped by some customers before (classic).

Now it gets interesting:

I asked if it was possible to do a COD (cash on delivery) since I too got ripped by some sellers on eBay (for a PS2 and a DS game).

At first he didn't want, but then I said the if the item was really real and as advertised, he wouldn't have to worry since I would be as soon as I see it's in working order.

Then he replied that since he saw that I was a serious buyer (maybe from taking all those precautions) he said that he agreed to do COD.

So what do you all think, it seemed suspicious at first, but if he agreed to COD, what can I lose? (Although I don't know if the post office allows us to open the package to see if it's in working order first, probably but never did this so I'm not sure).

At first I wanted an iPod Touch 32gb 3G, but if I can get an iPhone for that price then it's even better. If it happens that it's all scams, then I'll go buy an iPod Touch thursday or friday.

Thanks everybody!
  2. pabalabalo

pabalabalo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I say go for it. Although if you're doing a COD take someone with you, definitely don't go alone. Also maybe have him show you that it's in working order.
  3. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Definitely have another human being to help you through the whole process. If you're doing a COD then you might not have anything to do, but who knows?
  4. DemonIced

DemonIced Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I'm gonna write him back to say I'll take the item with COD and I'll come back to tell you his reply.

About going to reclaim the item with someone else, I'll probably to this, but since it comes from the US I'll probably have to go to the post office for the COD since I'm in Canada, so I don't think that I really need a buddy...
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    The one from Winnipeg answer me with this :

"My husband works for Hellas Canada Post service so i will make the delivery through them.I will leave the package at their office here in Winnipeg,make all papers for the delivery to your address,they will inspect the package and send you the invoice,you will deposit the money into their trust account.The package will then be shipped to your address and will arrive in max 12 hours.You will have 3 days to inspect the package and decide if you keep it or not.If you do,Hellas Canada Post will forward me the money,if you don`t you will receive the money back and the package will be returned to me,no costs for you.I will need your name and address to start the delivery today.

Cheers,"

And she posted this picture with it:

Please Register or Log in to view images

The transaction might look like a scam (I find it pretty similar to the eBay thing with the money sent in a trust account), but the picture seems legit, what do you all think?
  5. TouchedApps

TouchedApps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
  6. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Boxes are only boxes unless they have something inside...
  7. DemonIced

DemonIced Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    So what would you recommend I do? Give up the Winnipeg deal?
  8. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Ask for some pictures of the actual iPhones (if possible) or videos of them working (also if possible).
  9. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    She would have put pictures of the iPhone. Thats what I would have done.
  10. NinetyFour

NinetyFour Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Keep in mind the iPhones are sealed in box