Found dust underneath screen of iPod Touch. Advice on what to do?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by philthy, Aug 13, 2008.

1. philthy

philthy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hello. I recently got a iPod Touch 32GB as a gift. I was using it today and noticed a very tiny speck of dust underneath the screen, around a few mm below the middle of the screen. It's not noticeable unless you're watching a video with a very dark scene or when the screen is off.

I was wondering if anymore dust will get underneath the screen. Should I bring it into an Apple store and see if I can get it replaced? Thanks.
  2. piratetom95

piratetom95 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    just bring it and see if they can do anything
  3. philthy

philthy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    ^I was thinking of doing that, but it's only one speck. I'm worried if it'll get worse over time if there is a seam in the Touch that I don't know about.
  4. Dave C

Dave C New Member

So if you're worried, why not just bring it in to Apple to see what they can do? Even if for only 1 speck...
  5. Gatzy118

Gatzy118 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My screen smashed and i got it repaired but not by apple stupidly. Now it doesnt fit flysh and there is liads of dust under the screen, have i lost my warranty? i think i have

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Jesus69

Jesus69 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ya DO NOT tinker with it unless you know what you are doing...just bring it to apple and see if they can do anything
  7. philthy

philthy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I went into an Apple store tonight and talked to a Genius Bar tech about the dust under the screen. He said it wasn't noticeable enough for the iPod Touch to get replaced. The couple pieces around the corner of the the screen aren't too noticeable unless under sunlightI, but there's the biggest one a quarter inch below the middle of the screen.

I tried showing the tech the big piece, but he said it's not significant enough to get it replaced. I requested to speak to a manager about the issue which he directed me to one. I told him my issue and he was more reasoning. He saw the big piece close to the middle of the screen and he was about to help me swap it out. He asked me if I bought it from an Apple Store, which I replied no. He told me he can't do anything about it due to something taking a hit in costs and/or inventory.

He said the warranty does not cover something "minor" as this. I tried to refute his claim with Apple's lack of QC on their product, especially on their flagship iPod model and warranty SHOULD cover anything, even small blemishes or imperfections that aren't caused by the consumer. He still said he couldn't do anything about it since there's no receipt. I was informed to call Apple Care to see if I they can help me out. I asked if they can replace it with a refurb, but he said they don't carry refurbished Touches.

Now I don't know what to do. I'm planning on calling Apple Care to see if they can take care of the issue, but was this store in the wrong? I see other posters on this and other forums walk in with an iPhone or Touch with the same issue and they swap them out with refurbs.