Forcing SpringBoard in OS 2.x to rebuild app list

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by nathana, Dec 14, 2008.

1. nathana

nathana New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I had asked about how to do it in [post=1084241]this thread[/post], but nothing was forthcoming from anybody. After trying to install another App Store application onto my Touch manually because the App Store wouldn't allow me to install directly (thanks, Apple and Co., for trying to protect me from myself again, even though I don't need your help and certainly didn't ask for it) and running into the same stupid problem (and I tried multiple resprings, permissions and ownership changes, etc.), I finally got pissed off enough to take the time to find a real fix.

I found *A* solution that does work 100% of the time, although it has a downside...if you have a lot of apps, the next time your iPod Touch boots or resprings, it is *going* to take a while for it to come back. In fact, it might even end up rebooting by itself one additional time before Springboard returns.

The solution I found was to delete ~mobile/Library/Caches/com.apple.mobile.installation.plist and then respring. This forces Springboard to reenumerate every single app in the iPod, in either /Applications or ~mobile/Applications, thus causing it to pick up on the new application you just copied over manually yourself. After it is done, the plist file in question will be rebuilt (this part is what causes the iPod to take so long to boot back up again).

There has *got* to be a better way to do this, and it seems to me that SOMEBODY out there knows how to make it happen because I have NEVER had a Cydia-installed application fail to show up on my Springboard TO-DATE. So, what does Cydia do to alert the system of the new app without causing Springboard to rebuilt its entire installed applications list from scratch?

Undoubtedly the mechanism (and trigger) for causing this update to occur has changed since iPhone OS 1.x; otherwise we would still have appLoad with us as part of EricaUtilities, and it wouldn't be such a pain in the arse to install applications manually (this forum is packed-full with threads from the pre-2.x days that make it sound like manual app installation is just as simple as copying the app over, making sure permissions are set correctly, and then respringing/rebooting...THIS DOESN'T WORK IN 2.x, and yet I see no one talking about this fact; if they are, I must be blind).

It would be nice to have a functioning appLoad on 2.x, wouldn't it? It's got to be possible to do, if Cydia can do it. Am I missing something here?

Anyway, I hope that this information is useful/helpful in the meantime to the people out there who still need to do manual app installs from time to time.

-- Nathan
  2. crimsondynamo329

crimsondynamo329 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Have you tried the respring app from cydia? I had a similar problem, and tried several other respring/reboot methods and they didn't work. But the respring app did.
  3. nathana

nathana New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Found an answer to this!

You need to install UIKit Tools from Cydia. Then, while at a terminal, AS USER 'mobile', run 'uicache'. Wait a few seconds. Your new applications will show up on SpringBoard without having to re-spring.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Voila, as they say.

-- Nathan
  4. giannaros

giannaros New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey you can also install SBSettings from Cydia. Swipe the status Bar, then hit "refresh"