Forcing Linux to a larger screen resolution

Discussion in 'Linux' started by frightenedcow, Oct 26, 2008.

1. frightenedcow

frightenedcow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I use VNC to view a Linux computer w/ no monitor instead of running a virtual machine on my computer. My question is how can i force the screen resolution to something like 1280x1024 or maybe smaller cuz when it boots w/out a monitor it is stuck at 800x600. My screen rez is at 1280x1024 and it would be more enjoyable to use if it where that big too.

Can this be done?
  2. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You should be able to just set the resolution in the screen resolution properties...

What linux flavour are you using?
  3. frightenedcow

frightenedcow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Linux Mint....

I've tried. the highest rez it gives me is 800x600. Now if i boot it up with a monitor pluged in it will give a higher rez.

Attached Files:

4. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You will need to edit your Xorg .conf file, yes it IS possible, however, you are connecting via VNC, which is a slight problem.

You might want to try another protocol like SSH, which, when manipulated with the correct syntax will allow you to run an X-environment like VNC. However, SSH + Windows is not very... "nice".
  5. Ex-Touch

Ex-Touch New Member

Simple solution. Take your reg computer's monitor and plug the Linux machine into it.
  6. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    We are looking for something he can do. If he could do that, why would he ask?
  7. frightenedcow

frightenedcow New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Right, i did that and selected the highest rez and then took the monitor back to my computer. now i just cant turn the linux computer off or else it will go back to 800x600. not that big of a problem though. its in the bacement and its not that loud.