For those who've owned both 1G and 2G- Wifi strength?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by madmaxmedia, Dec 1, 2008.

?

How is your 2G wifi range compared to 1G?

Poll closed Dec 31, 2008.
  1. Basically the same, no significant difference.

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. 1G iPod Touch has better wifi range.

7 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. 2G iPod Touch has better wifi range.

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia New Member

I have owned both 1G and 2G iPod Touch's, and have found that the 2G does not pull in wifi signals nearly as well as my 1G. Places where I got full reception on my 1G are very spotty on my 2G. In addition, my old rubber case seems to hurt my 2G wifi performance, while it had no effect on my old 1G.

The last 2.2 update made connections more consistent, but this poor range is killing me. I love all other aspects of the 2G.

Please reply to the poll only if you've owned or had significant experience with both units. I'm trying to get a handle on whether this is a unit to unit thing, or something inherent in the 2G design. Thanks!
  2. vbcoder

vbcoder New Member

Funny you should bring this up. I too have had both 1G and 2G ipod touches. On the 1G where the coverage was not that great, I still was able to get good signal strenght and connect up to youtube no problem. With the 2G I have definitely noticed a difference. It still connects but oh man is it slow. Where there is good signal, I have no problem with the 2G and in fact I think it is a bit faster. Lastly, the latest 2.2 update did help a bit, but nothing like how it was with the 1G. When I get a chance I'll grab my friend's older ipod touch and try it out again. Really you'd have to have them side by side to do a true test, but from my recollection, for sure the 1G was better in fair wifi areas.
  3. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia New Member

Thanks, I think my experience has been the exact same as yours.

I don't have my 1G anymore to do a side-by-side comparison, but there were certain areas of the house where the 1G connected no problem, and my 2G rarely is able to, drops the signal, etc.

But so far we are being outvoted in the poll...

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. JAD

JAD New Member

I still have both and although I haven't done a side by side comparison, I've had great distance on both.

Edit: I'll tell you what, I'll take a walk down the block and see which konks out first. BRB.

Edit 2: Whoops, 1G is out of juice, have to charge it up then I'll try it.
  5. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

I never actually put it this way but the 1G's signal actually is stronger than the 2G's.
  6. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

looking forward to seeing the results!
  7. JAD

JAD New Member

Ok, at approximately 65 metres (I paced it out and my spouse's estimate matched my pacing) from my router (which goes also through one brick wall and one plaster wall) I can still get web pages just fine on both. Tried it with the same web page links.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I didn't take it any further because I didn't fancy walking across the street onto the neighbours lawn, lol. I suppose I could have continued around the block but then you're getting into trees and other buildings.

Both were showing one bar at that point. So as far as my two go, I'd say they both work equally well at least with my own router. The 2G is running the latest firmware and the 1G is running 2.1 as I haven't gotten around to updating it to the latest yet. Both are in a leather Belkin case and both have a plastic sleeve on them.

Hmm. You know for my own curiosity I may just go walk the other way around where there are no buildings. Since I still haven't determined this even to my own satisfaction.

Final results At an additional 2-4 metres from where I stood last time both had one bar but the 1G could no longer get signal. The 2G was still popping up web pages.

2G won.
    I was expecting them both to tie, so there is a statement of my own bias. Caveat: 1G is one firmware update behind.

Both are set up identically with a static ip assigned by the router via Mac address and both use wpa psk.
  8. newton1221

newton1221 New Member

i have access to both and have done side by side tests, the 2g and 1g from what i can tell have pretty much the same range, i get basically no variation, but the 2g definitely renders the pages faster (because of the faster processor), IMHO there isnt much of a difference in the two, even when it comes to rendering a page although the 2g is faster its not like im sitting there waiting, its like a second at most, probably less

edit: there have been some issues with how well the 2g's have been manufactured, if your really getting a bad signal from the 2g compared to 1g you might want to check that out, they should prolly be about the same
  9. JAD

JAD New Member

Well as I said the 1G conked out first but the distance was very minimal= at my best estimate an additional 3 metres effective range for the 2G.

I'd say that's such a small amount as to be pretty insignificant. What I was impressed by was the distance they both managed. I thought that was pretty darn good. My phone (one of those kind that are wireless) can reach probably another fifteen meters. I know this because I tried it out one day and met someone at the corner while talking on it which is significantly further than the iPod got and the phone base is near the router.
  10. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia New Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for the detailed responses, especially JAD's test! It seems like there might just be some unit-to-unit variability, which is actually more encouraging. I will have to get mine checked out, if I can get roughly the same wifi performance as my old 1G then I will be very pleased.

Thanks!