For Those who are good/like to repair ipods

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WhiteHat09, Aug 5, 2008.

1. WhiteHat09

WhiteHat09 New Member

This is for anyone familiar with the insides of the touch.

I recently purchased a darthpod back cover and decided to install it myself; I should have bought some of those plastic tools to open the ipod but I was anxious. After getting the old back off and the darthpod on I realized that the audio jack does not work and it is no longer recognized by my computer (but it does charge with a wall outlet to usb device). I took the darthpod back off to see that I snapped some of the surface mount resistors on the logic board just above the usb cable connector on the touch. So I used my multimeter to measure the remaining resistors and most of them ranged from .15 to .25 ohms. Im thinking that if I carefully put solder where the missing resistors are I might have a chance of fixing my problem. At this point I cant loose cuz its not working anyways but I would like to know what some of you have to say.

For the record, I know Im an idiot and totally f'd up; and everything else works still.

Also, If anyone could provide a high resolution photo of the area I speak of that would be great. This way I can really tell how the resistors laid. The best photo I could find was on ifixit and modified it to show what Im talkin about. The left side is the original photo and the right shows were the missing resistors are with white marks.

Attached Files:

2. brisingr

brisingr New Member

send it to apple. Say it overheated. It stopped working. With the original back obviously.
  3. WhiteHat09

WhiteHat09 New Member

would that work? I think they would notice the scratches on the bezel and the resistors missing. plus its jailbroken and if I cant connect it to the computer I cant reset the firmware.
  4. RenegadeKrogan

RenegadeKrogan Banned

Maybe...try entering DFU mode and doing a force restore and then contact apple. Also, if you cannot access it and see it is jailbroken then apple may not be able to. Also, you can always tell apple you bought this from a store and it already had apps on it...it may work?
  5. exit1010

exit1010 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    lol maybe the first brick ipod..... i think amirite??? si o no???
  6. WhiteHat09

WhiteHat09 New Member

now I need to ask something about the warranties. if I go to apple and say I bought it somewhere (otherthan an apple store) do I need a reseipt to prove it? how does that work?