For those Touch owners thinking about an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JustinCarpenter, Feb 11, 2008.

1. JustinCarpenter

JustinCarpenter New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I had an iPod Touch since September and it recently got stolen 3 days after the January update. I have since then bought a 16GB iPhone through AT&T. I have not unlocked or jailbroken it because it seems to fit my needs so far.

Here I am going to list the small features that people don't seem to mention that are great in my eyes for those thinking about an iPhone. It helps as I have had the touch and the phone, so here they are.

- Right when you yurn the iPhone on, it shows all missed calls, voicemails, texts.
    - When there is a phone number in an email, text, or web page, you can tap it and it will call that number.
    - When there is an address in a text, email, or web page, you can tap it, and it will open Google Maps and map the location.
    - Same with email addresses.
    - Volume when listening to music can be adjusted from the ringer volume keys when the iPhone is off.
    - (Not sure if the iPod has this): Can redeem codes through iTunes WiFi Music Store.
    - When a picture is taken upside down or sideways, the iPhone knows it so when you view the picture, it is right side up.
    - Ringtones can be added without paying in version 1.1.3 (Through iPhoneRingToneMaker).
    - (Not sure if iPod has this): Can change what double tapping home button does.
    - Usage can be sent as a text even with no service. (Not sure how it works)
    - Text messages show date and time above them is the last text before is more than 10 minutes apart.
    - When you miss a call, the number that the call came from is highlighted in the "Missed Calls" section.
    - When in a call, you can do everything that you can when not in a call if you are in Wifi except texting.
    - If using Edge, internet services cannot be used when in a call.
    - Call waiting works like this: Two options show up, "Current Call Hold + Answer" or "Ignore."
    - Text messages are sorted by last message received or sent.
    - Switching from WiFi to Edge does not reset any connections.
    - When hooking up to external speakers, if phone is not in airplane mode, calls cause a TON of interference. (Using iHome)
    - When hooking up phone to accessories, will give an option to put phone in Airplane Mode if accessory is not recognized.

I hope this list has helped. These are features that I never knew about till I got the phone. Please let me know if this has helped you.
    1 person likes this.
  2. DemonDuck

DemonDuck New Member

very good post. just makes me want the iPhone so much more now.... to wait for 3G, or not to wait for 3G, that is the question
  3. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for the info. Makes me want one

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. berky93

berky93 New Member

actually all phones cause speaker interference - notice when your phone is about to ring your speakers will buzz.
  5. JustinCarpenter

JustinCarpenter New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    My old Sprint phone didn't. I think it is just GSM and iDEN phones, which is bascially all phones except Sprint and Verizon.
  6. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I was able to live without an iPhone, until I got one. Now I literally have it on me all day. I even have alternate uses for it too. Example: at night, I set it on my dresser, within arm's reach of my bed, in its Dock, and I use PocketTouch and my iPhone as a great little radio. I suppose I could do this with MobileMediaPlayer too, but I really like the layout of PocketTouch. I can't wait to get it released to you guys,
  7. Firespray

Firespray Banned

Bah this makes me want a iPhone even more too

I'd shell out the cash to buy one except I don't have AT&T as my provider, instead I have Verizon and since they don't have SIM cards, no jailbreaking it either

8. beezy

beezy New Member

to wait lol
    also i have sprint, can the iphone be jialbroken to work with it? does anyone have any good lnk,s or sum keywords to 'search' so i can read up on difficutly cost and risks (of breaking it and or getting caught)

PS: nice post
  9. GarnetNGold

GarnetNGold Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    External speaker, and volume control. Wish Apple made the Touch have that.
  10. d00m42

d00m42 Member

Thanks alot! I have been considering getting an iPhone (most likely waiting till the 3G iPhone) because my current phone is starting to go. I am just curious, how much does it cost with a new 2 year contract vs without one?