For those that have owned both a 1G & 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ThrowAway, Oct 18, 2008.

1. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

For those that have owned both a 1G & 2G.

Honestly how do they compare????
  2. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    There's one annoying thing:
    The 1G is very very laggy on 2.x firmware (I updated from 1.1.5) the 2G is alot faster than the 1G without jailbreak with fresh restore!

The 2G has not unleashed its power until now since there's no jailbreak for it.

Otherwise everything is very similar but the LCD of the 2G displays everything in a warmer color.

Soundquality is the same but that depends on earphones and on nothing else. (both audiochips are very good and the differences cant be heard but only experienced by machines in testlabors)
  3. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

Hi Mirror,

When you say that the 2g has a warmer screen, in comparison to the crisp blueish screen of the 1g is the warmer screen a postive or negative attribute?
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    in terms of clearness there's no difference. In terms of color displaying there's a big difference. The 2G can't display white! Everything that appear white on 1G is a "dirty" white-yellow thing on 2G

Please Register or Log in to view images

It seems that apple used a new perhaps cheaper LCD in the 2G.
    So for me it's a negative aspect.
    Also the brightness level on 2g is lower. In the lowest setting the LCD is almost unusable on 2G comparable with "DIM-IN" screen on 1G or PocketTouch on 1.x with the auto dim-in.
    The brightest setting is lighter on 1G.

Don't forget 2G seems to have a bigger RAM causing apps crash less often than on 2.x on 1G. Especially safari for example if you're posting on forums like IPTF which can be very annoying!(I mean a crash during typing)

And of course the harware differences like speaker or buttons.
    Also the lightsensor is not located on the left upper corner but in the center.
  5. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

The whites being rendered yellow is a bit of a worry to me. What's it like watching video on it? You saying this about the white being yellow has immediately put the brakes on my thoughts of buying one come Monday morning.

Also Mirror you should have a good opinion on this in regards to your fix on your 1g. I think that there is going to be a lot of future problems with the way the home button is engineered on the 1g, I think it's the Archilles heel of the 1g touch. Googling gets many people saying that they are having home button issues with the 1g models. The 2g from internal pictures I have seen on the internet looks to have a completely different engineered home button. Can you feel a tactile difference between the two?
  6. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    watching video is the same as on 1G since there are hardly videos with only white sequences

but flashing of explosions with a blue-white flash will be rendered with a slight yellow color ...
    But anyway videos aren't too different on both devices.

Yes the homebutton on the 2G feels as same stable as on a fresh 1G BUT you can hear the click sound much louder and clearer than on 1G. On 1G you can try to make the click as quiet as possible and it IS possible but on 2G it's impossible. Think that apple fixed the homebutton issue on 2g as you said since it's constructed in a completely different way.
    (refer to ifixit for photos)

But I can't say how long it will stay before it starts to wear out^^ since I only own it since 1 month

Hope that it'll be better than on 1G and I won't have to disassemble it like my 1G

------------------double post merged------------------
    a few comparisions in terms of speed:
    2G @2.1.1 as usual and 1G @2.1 nonjailbroken

Boot up:
    2G: ~30secs
    1G: ~1:30mins

Open safari after fresh reboot(time after tap until it starts loading page):
    2G: immediately!/less than 1sec
    1G: ~3secs

Open weather app (from tap until info is loaded - of course on same wifi@same place@same time! Also with safari running in background to stress the RAM):
    2G: ~2secs
    1G: ~7secs

Lockscreen unlocking (typing into both devices at same time):
    2G is switching to homescreen faster than 1G but 2G is also smoother than 1G!!

Open AppStore (from tap until main page loaded also same wifi things like weather):
    2G: ~3secs
    1G: ~5secs

Open calculator app (from tap until numbers appear):
    2G: 1sec
    1G: 2secs

Open settings app (from tap until all is loaded):
    2G: 1sec
    1G: 4secs

Open Music app (from Tap until playlists page loaded):
    2G: 2secs
    1G: 4secs
    [the same for starting music with double tap on homescreen and pressing play-button while Music app is not running

iPods had no apps installed only the apple ones packaged with firmware.

Another difference between both is that on 2G the wifi has a bigger range than on 1G I mean signal quality seems to be stronger.

btw: I'll edit the list above regarding speed after I did a few further Tests //DONE
  7. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

I'd like to add that the warm tint is really only noticeable if you're looking for it.
    The 2G is a great device! I've never owned a 1G but it seems to operate smoother than my friend's 1G. I also haven't had Safari crash yet, whereas my friend's does every once in awhile.
  8. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    no if you were on 1G before you'll notice the warm tint immediately and it'll rest awhile until you treat it as usual!

yes, if you didnt own a 1G you cant compare - next time you visit your freind let him open up the preferences.app and set brightness level to 100 and switch off auto-dim and do it also on your device.
    put them next to each other and compare!
    that's a BIG difference

If I could I would post a picture but photographing it wont show it too well since the camera will auto w/b correct it

9. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

Anyone else owned both?
  10. Abcmsaj

Abcmsaj Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    2G is much faster than the 1G.
    I've also noticed the Wifi has a wider range, the design is better, and the speaker just gives it that little bit more.

I also love the external volume controls - Which I now use all the time, and I don't care that you can't jailbreak it... It's fine as it is.

There's no keyboard lag, it's much faster in general... but the yellowness of the screen might get to you - I'm used to it now.

Honestly - 2G iPod Touch and White RebelTouch - Epic Combo.
    1G iPod Touch with Gold Darthpod back - Different, but the actual software doesn't match up to the 2G's.