For those of you with a Good Understanding of the Lithium Ion Battery...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Apizao118, Oct 6, 2008.

1. Apizao118

Apizao118 New Member

How can I ensure maximum battery life? Should I charge it as much as possible? Maybe let it drain all the way each time? Charge only halfway? Attempt to always get a full cycle? What's the best way to keep my ipod touch 2g battery like-new?

BTW, I generally keep wifi off and brightness low. Plus i never use the speakers
  2. juone95

juone95 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)

If you dont use speakers why did you buyy!!~~~@@#!@#@!
  3. JAD

JAD New Member

Apple's store site has an answer to just this qustion and a battery FAQ well worth reading.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The short version is use the iPod (battery needs "excitement") and it is good for so many cycles, I forget how many, draining it all the way makes no difference and charging it incrementally is fine and has nothing to do with battery life or cycle amount.
  4. Apizao118

Apizao118 New Member

Haha, no reason not to buy. I have plenty of money and no other ipod. Why get an older version when you can get the newer. Plus I love the look

5. Hawk805

Hawk805 New Member

ill pm you my paypal, i'd like a new 2g ipod.
  6. glitchbit

glitchbit New Member

lithium ion batteries are not like ni-cads they do not need to be fully drained at any time due to memory defects. There are debates on what is most healthy for li-ion batteries but basically they do need to discharge frequently to be able to retain their capacity over time.

I am unable to give you any figures though, but I would try to avoid running it below 10-20% if memory serves me right from the things I have read. It won't be the end of the world if you drain it all the way down though. Over the period of 2 to 3 years I think it is li-ion can lose up to 40% of its capacity depending on its use. However, that information as I had read it may be incorrect these days with continual advancements in the li-ions and you can probably rest assure that Apple is more likely to be using new li-ion tech compared to others.
  7. wormyalon

wormyalon New Member

As long as you continue to use the device on a daily or semi daily basis you don't need to worry about "cycling" in the li-ion sense of the word. It's really not worth it to do anything special as it won't make much of a difference, but avoiding the 10% mark is probably a good idea. Here's what kills a lithium battery:

1. Cycles, a lithium battery only has so many cycles before it loses capacity regardless of how you care for it, after 1000 cycles there's no avoiding a significant capacity loss and most people replace their batteries before this happens.

2. Running it below it's minimum voltage (3 volts), this means running a lithium battery down to about 3.0 volts under load (don't ask me how much load an ipod puts on it, but it's definitely not significant). A fully charged lithium battery (1 cell) reads around 3.7 volts.

3. Storing for a long period of time at maximum voltage. Studies have shown that if you store a lithium battery at max voltage for a year you get approximately a 20% capacity loss, as opposed to storing at half capacity which will give you about a 6% loss over a year. You can store it at even lower voltages but then there's the danger of it dropping below its voltage cutoff point during storage.

So:

1. Unavoidable in any circumstance. Don't worry about it.
    2. The ipod does this for you, don't worry about it. However you can still avoid the 10% mark to be EXTRA careful.
    3. Who the hell stores an ipod touch for a year anyway? Don't worry about it.

Please do not try to apply point number 3 to daily use, that is, DON'T start telling everyone to never charge above 50%, it won't make a significant difference for everyday use.

Summary: Don't worry, just stay over 10%, it's that simple.
  8. beebop

beebop New Member

it's alright for some..
  9. Sydney

Sydney New Member

Wait, so using my iPod until it turns off from lack of charge is bad for it?

So, at the 10% I should turn it off until I can charge it somewhere?
  10. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Don't drain the batteries constantly to their lowest level with Li-Ions and you'll be okay. If you're getting that low, by all means plug it in and let it charge fully - and it doesn't hurt to do 'top off' charges with Li-Ion, given that a battery is usually rated for 500 'full' cycles before capacity starts to decrease sharply, and if you're topping it off when it drops 20%, you're only using 20% of a 'full cycle' of charge.