For those of you who need a temporary "case" and don't care about air bubbles...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by matt912836, Sep 11, 2010.

1. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I just got done shrink-wrapping my iPod, and other than the billion air bubbles, it's not that bad for something that will keep me scratch free until I buy a case. All you need is a ziplock bag and a hair dryer or stove flame. Just put the iPod in the bag, point the hair dryer at it or hold it safely above the flame, and work it until you get it right. It might take a few bags and it would be smart to test it first with a similar shaped object to get an idea as to how the bag reacts to the heat. As long as your not putting your iPod in the fire you'll be fine. It takes seconds for the bag to shrink so you'll be fine. I'll post some pics of how mine came out.
  2. dd_ny

dd_ny New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Direct heat like that isn't a good thing to put your iPod through. Makes more sense to just stick it in a sock or something.
  3. mush

mush Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    interesting, in for the pics
  4. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Click to Enlarge

Please Register or Log in to view images

I didn't care how it looks right now since I won't really be taking it outside other than the gym, so I left a lot of extra plastic on that back corner. It was fine so I didn't want to mess it up and start over again. When the screen is actually on you don't notice the bubbles at all.

Also, the plastic reacts to very low heat so theres no real chance of it damaging the iPod. The plastic would start to smoke and burn and would take a while before anything bad is done to the iPod.

If you care about the bubbles and wrinkles and have a hair dryer, check this out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeY9jGIRUjg&feature=related
  5. bigmack123

bigmack123 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Uhm could you make a video on how to do this? I cannot imagine how on earth it would turn out like that!?
  6. Tromple22

Tromple22 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    lol, I would never to that to my iPod. Too many chances of things going wrong. And if there are a few scratches on the back, so what? It's going to live in a case its whole life so that doesn't matter.
  7. legendarytrainer

legendarytrainer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    ya know, as long as it doesnt scratch the back much or damage the ipod due to heat, which i agree with you as plastic wrap does react to low heat, thats a pretty smart idea.
  8. matt912836

matt912836 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    A good way to minimize/eliminate bubbles on the screen is saran wrap. Wrap it then seal it in the back with a little heat.
  9. Honda

Honda Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You're an idiot if you burst your iPod screen in direct heat. Why not just use those regular food cover plastic and it sticks easily too.
  10. cacophony777

cacophony777 New Member

The irony is that you're going to scratch the ipod in the process of removing the shrink-wrap.