For Those of You Having Problems With Cydia

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Flamey87, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Flamey87

Flamey87 New Member

Hi. In my other thread, I noticed a few people going through the same problem I did: Cydia launches, and after the "Loading Data" window finishes, the entire app crashes.

There are two approaches to this, the second should work if you've been installing sources on Cydia. The first requires terminal (OR both SSH and WinSCP), and the second requires OpenSSH and WinSCP:

1. I've taken this from another thread, so don't fret if you've seen this before. Use this if you haven't fiddled around with Cydia's sources, and it still doesn't load.

2. Use this method if you recently installed new sources for Cydia, as one you may have downloaded could be corrupted. If you're not certain Cydia's problem is a corrupt source's fault, you can use the method above. If you get the following problem while trying the first method, you should try using the second method:
    Now, for the second method, create a connection to your computer via WinSCP, and find this directory;
    [Home Directory]/private/var/lib/apt/lists

You will see a list of sources for Cydia (you can sort them by Date Modified, if you want, to see which ones you've recently downloaded). Delete the sources you downloaded the day Cydia stopped working. You can also try deleting one at a time, and constantly check to see if Cydia works on your iPod.

If one of the sources you deleted turns out to be the corrupted one, Cydia should launch problem-free.

If neither of the two methods work, either Cydia is down, or the problem is more complex, and requires a better fix.
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    This is good for those who know how to use Terminal. Good write-up.
  3. Edin.

Edin. New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Both methods do not work. =[

Am I the only one that has Cydia issues? Is it their servers? It's been going on like this since yesterday.
  4. Flamey87

Flamey87 New Member

Thanks you, Kiks52, for the kind comment. =]

You've deleted every source you downloaded after getting Cydia? And for the first method, did you get the error I mentioned?

The only possible solution I can think of, off the top of my head, is to just restore.
  5. Edin.

Edin. New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes, every source from the /private/var/lib/apt/lists

I guess I'll restore...But I'll try a few more times.
  6. Flamey87

Flamey87 New Member

You can try going to Applications in the root directory, and right click, properties, and set the permissions to 777 or 775.

If that doesn't work, you can try looking for files that relate to the Cydia sources in the piravte/var/lib area.
  7. mikhgl

mikhgl New Member

Thank you very much. But you missed another step:
    After removing the corrupted source you have to remove it from the source list, otherwise, when cydia reloads it will install it again, so:
    1) go to root>etc>apt>sources.list.d>cydia.list
    2) copy this file and open it with textedit(mac) or notepad(windows)
    3) delete the line with the corrupted source ( for example:rep.sources.co.il(this is a very bad source!)) and save.
    4) replace the file in your iphone

Done!

Done
  8. grman

grman New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    do you need wifi for this
  9. Panflake

Panflake New Member

i have no clue

k so in my cydia there is absolutely nothing no sources or packages nothing, so i cant download any ssh app or whatever it is can someon please help me
  10. greensk8

greensk8 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Problems with Cydia

I am having a problem, i have Cydia it works at my home network, but here at my friends it WILL NOT connect.
    suggestions?