For the people who don't know

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.3 Discussions' started by I_am_Mad_like_This, Jan 20, 2008.

?

Do you know about this already?

Poll closed Feb 24, 2008.
  1. Yeah, a long time ago.

45 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. I have heard about if during the time of firmware 1.1.3

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Nope...

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. I don't care. (me -> :-[ )

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I_am_Mad_like_This

I_am_Mad_like_This New Member

2. kitren2

kitren2 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    no new news there, but thanks
  3. ElTres

ElTres New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    "Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, [...]. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users." (Steve "what-is-his-middle-name" Jobbs)

Sounds like he is describing the jailbreak community: "100s of apps" "vibrant developer community"

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Well, what he failed to mention was that he wanted to make sure that Apple made a few dollars for every piece of software made for the platform, and that Apple should get absolute veto rights for anything on the platform. 2 things impossible in an open, free system like the jailbreak.
  5. Bolrus

Bolrus New Member

And what you failed to mention are three major defects of completely open-source software.

1) The ratio of junk-to-useful software is very high.
    2) The quality of software is often poor -- QC, lack of documentation, poor ease-of-use
    3) Zero security

Also, I'd like to point out that, although it seems likely, no word has been given yet that distribution through Apple will be the only distribution method available.

But feel free to continue railing against evil corporations.
  6. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Hm, nice strawman. Someone with mediocre logic skills might even be convinced by your post.

The only problem with your points is that Jailbreak is NOT only open-source software. In fact, since there is no top-level governing body, the software released through Jailbreak can have any level of license - some may be open source, some may be closed source and free, some may be closed source and at cost, etc.

Now, it's true that we don't know that all SDK software will go through Apple, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb here when I'm predicting it will. Apple is notoriously the most closed-system company there is. Hell, they make Microsoft look like Google.
  7. markymarkdotcom

markymarkdotcom New Member

Yea just like how I can only put mp3s on my iPod with iTunes and can't download *******s and drag and drop.....(sarcasm)
  8. x6blues

x6blues New Member

has any1 ever noticed when they speak of the ipod touch, they basically imply its mediocre compared to the much more expensive iPhone. i mean when advertising its suddenly the most advanced ipod, but when the keynote comes up it gets 2 dam minutes and the apps we shouldve had in the first place, not to be over dramamtic, its like a "second class citizen" i mean wtf is a p.s. this is also for the ipod touch...
  9. I_am_Mad_like_This

I_am_Mad_like_This New Member

yeah I believe the younger bro is cooler and hipper than the iPhone. When you compare side by side, the iPhone is weird. What is better is an iPod touch and A sleek samsung sliding phone!
  10. Smansmith

Smansmith New Member

I agree, I am from Canada, so very little actual iPhone action here. I mean a couple friends have unlocked to use on the Rogers Network here, but I hadn't seen them yet. Then, I actually saw and held their iPhones a couple of weeks back, and I liked it but was not as impressed as the iPod Touch, iPot is COMPLETELY sexier. The iPhone almost seemed clunky and oversized. If that is what it takes to make an iPod with a camera/phone, I will wait for a 2nd or 3rd gen.

2 cents....but back on topic, I do look forward to the potential of new apps - at a cost or not through Apple. The old addage, something is better than nothing.

S