For Newbies by a newbie (untethered jailbreak) -- 1% stuck mode? no worries..

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by TerribleTeebs, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TerribleTeebs

TerribleTeebs New Member

Oi -- figured I'd send some word of advice to all those who are having problems with their first jailbreak -- I've messed around over the last week and a half with all three second generation jailbreaks (tethered, semi-tethered and now untethered) -- perhaps some of what I've learnt can help:

1. Semi-tethered -- buggy as hell -- avoid.
    2. Libusb -- in my case in Vista, even when installed in compatibility mode, crashes my computer on shutdown. can't be avoided (perhaps with the unbinding commands but it I can't find that file in my install) -- I simply uninstall and reinstall as needed -- I'm planning and setting up a win 95 machine in vmware to deal with this. besides once you have your ipod 2g jailbroken (untethered) you hopefully won't need Libusb for a while.
    3. tethered jailbreak: easy, no problems, but Ipods do need occasional resets, pain in the ass when on the road (sometimes restarting springboard ain't enough).

Quickfreedom advice (in Vista)
    (I didn't have to rest it to factory settings before doing this -- after all we are flashing a new firmware onto the device!)
    so you've got LibUSB, and a good copy of the firmware -- (regardless of whether LibUSB causes your vista to crash on shutdown)

but your creating custom firmware stalls as soon as it starts at 1%.. weird. I tried it with custom image.. without custom image. kept stalling. so I kept trying. and trying. (pushing the button, waiting 20-30 seconds, cancelling, going back to main menu, trying again. for some reason after many attempts It actually works (I think about 1 out of every 15-20). I had my computer panel open in the background and all extra apps closed. I replicated this experiment 3 times (twice without custom image and finally with custom image) -- made the firmware, flashed my ipod -- works like a charm (nothing like a Canadian Maple leaf boot logo

Please Register or Log in to view images

Remember to hold shift when you restore in Itunes, and follow the instructions. easy as pie. (much easier than the other jailbreaks for the 2g).. if at first your firmware doesn't succeed.... try, try, try again!
  2. ChrisFrancia

ChrisFrancia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thx? 1% error is annoying
  3. EvanT

EvanT New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
  4. Magmaster

Magmaster New Member

I think 1% isn't a error.

In my case it just took a long time to start. One time there bar didn't rise but after about 10 min the firmware was finished.

Try to do all on XP x86, then you should have less problems.

With Quicktether I had the issue that after the DFU Instructions the error: "iPod is not in DFU mode" popped up (it actually was), but I think it was fixed.
  5. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

So you're saying to solution to the 1% problem is try it a bunch of times until it works?
  6. mako321

mako321 New Member

yeah, just try it, wait about a minute, and if it doesn't work, start over
  7. ChrisFrancia

ChrisFrancia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    another good strategy is to shake ur computer and yell work damn it then put it in a headlock and bite it, (may only work for chris brown)