For my unusual situation, will these apps stay after quickpwn?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Ferr, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I downloaded a pre-jailbroken firmware 2.1 with apps included. These are free apps that would have been downloaded from the app store, but due to the nature of how these apps "came with" the firmware I downloaded, they aren't recognized as "deletable" and the app store doesn't include updates for them.

Anyway, I want to quickpwn my 2.1 firmware to 2.2. I am worried that these apps will disappear if I quickpwn. Will they? If not, how can I back them up (apps + saved data) so I can reinstall them once the firmware update is complete?

PS: Yes, I read the stickeyed threads.
  2. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

after you upgrade and JB 2.2

you have to re-download the apps from the appstore.

if you're worrying about the paid apps.

don't worry because it will be free once you re-download it.
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

A firmware update trashes everything installed, app-wise. Plus, those apps may not work with 2.2 anyways. If they're free, repurchase them in App Store to add them to iTunes and the iPod will sync them in after the upgrade.
  4. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Is there any way I can save these apps on my PC and reinstall them later? Many of the apps that were free at the time now cost money (like earthscape)
  5. Jarlath

No. If they weren't listed as purchased on your account at the time, you can't just upload them later; since the DRM bypassing (read: cracking) which went on in the first place by whoever uploaded that cracked version of the firmware is undone by the firmware upgrade. You have to have them listed in your iTunes Store account in order to redownload them for free, and it'll only upload them onto your iPod/iPhone if FairPlay says they're linked to your account... which they aren't.

The rule of thumb is that if an app's free for a limited time, GET THE APP even if it sucks - that way if it improves, the upgrades (as long as they're minor) are free.
  6. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok, that makes sense. I might as well just install the new version!

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Jarlath

Pretty much. Just upgrade your firmware and wait for the apps to be free again. Or in the case of Earthscape, just skip it in favor of Google Earth.
  8. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have the new firmware, and it works great! The quickpwn kept all the apps I downloaded, and street view works on maps

Please Register or Log in to view images

This site continues to be a great help.
  9. andybno1

andybno1 Banned

if the apps are free it would just be easier for you to get them via your account then they are always there in iTunes if u need to restore