$$$$ For Macs

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by virtualone, Apr 14, 2008.

1. virtualone

virtualone New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Alright, now that I have gotten your attention....

I had this experience where I was reconfiguring my linksys router today and someone at tech support said that when I type in my password on my touch to connect to my router, that I should put a $ sign infront of it because it is an apple device.

I ended up typing it in and it connected to my network successfully but it still seems weird to me. Has anyone done this before or know the reasoning behind it?

Maybe I just find it odd because the touch is the only apple device I own...meh
  2. therealduckie

therealduckie Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I connected to my Belkin router from my iPod just fine (128bit WEP encryption) . You shouldn't need to use a $ sign.
  3. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq New Member

I have a linksys router at home and I do not have to use the$ sign. what was the problem in the first place that made you contact tech support?
  4. virtualone

virtualone New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Well often the network wasn't visible at all to either my iPod or laptops. I thought it was interference but at this point I still don't think I know what caused it. In the past I connected without the $ and I don't mind it but I am just curious more about why its used and if other people do this.
  5. therealduckie

therealduckie Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I HAVE seen some instances where a hidden network does this.

Just a few days ago I was at a club and asked the bartender for the Network Pass. I had to join manually and did have to use a $ sign, but it wasn't in the password.