For Everyone With Volume Buttons That Don't Work

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tinyman392, Oct 2, 2010.

1. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I've seen way too many of these threads, so I'm just going to sum up how the volume on the iPod Touch 4G Works.

On iOS 4 for the iPhones and iPod Touch 4G there are not one set of sound settings, but two. One of them is called "Ringer" while the other one is unnamed, I'll be calling this one "Normal". For other iPods all system sounds that would be in ringer were included with the normal sounds.

Breakdown of the Sound "Profiles":
    -Ringer: This is the system sounds and the ringer (for Facetime). Because of the addition of Facetime, ringer was added to iPods (It used to be an iPhone only thing I believe). Ringer controls the mail, unlock, keyboard, alarms, push, etc. Mainly system sounds are included with ringer.
    -Normal: These are the sounds produced by the games and music. Basically any sounds that goes off that doesn't pertain with the system comes in here.

In iOS 4, you cannot control both the ringer and normal sounds with the volume rocker at the same time. But you can control what the volume rocker controls in "Settings > Sound > Control with Volume Buttons"

The settings for this are as follows:
    -ON: The ringer will be controlled with the volume buttons unless you are in a game or music app. At the home screen, it will control the ringer sounds (alarms, mail, keyboard, etc.). The normal (game/music/app sounds) will only be controlled by the volume rocker when in a game or music app. Otherwise, the volume rocker controls the ringer.
    -OFF: The ringer will not be controlled with the volume buttons and never can. Whenever the volume rocker is used it will control the music and app/game sounds. Keyboard, alarms, music, etc. will not be controlled with the volume rocker. The ringer volume can only be changed in Settings > Sound > Ringer (slider).

I hope this will clear up anyone's problem with the volume buttons. None of us are used to it if we have used the iPods, if you have used iPhones, you're already used to it. Hopefully there will be a jailbreak tweak that will allow us to controll both normal and ringer sounds with the volume rocker.

Please note that this is not a bug with the iPod or iOS 4.1. It has been like this for iPhones (from what I've heard) for a long time now. So the chances of them changing this are slim to none. Hopefully in the next iPod they put a silencer switch on it with the volume rocker (instead of just a volume rocker).
  2. eric780

eric780 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    great job
  3. link07

link07 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thanks, I've figured this out, but many haven't

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. APV

APV Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    It's been like this on the iPhone since ever, but must have only happened on the iPod touch. I remember the 2G iPod touch on 3.0 was not like this, it was just a universal volume. If they are adding it now to the iPod touch, they should sooner or later add a silent switch, like on the iPad.
  5. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Yeah, that's actually the exact reason why people are getting confused with the volume (and the reason why I created this thread). Time will only tell if the next iPod has a silent switch.
  6. futra

futra Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    thanks for clearing this up. i was wondering where is the silent option since sbsetting's silent toggle doesn't work on ipt4g.
  7. India Fransisco

India Fransisco New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Okay I've messed with everything and that's not the problem. Just saying. The volume box doesn't even pop up at all. Notifications don't even make sound.