For all the eBook readers out there: Stanza!

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by ence117, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ence117

ence117 New Member

When I first checked out the app site on iTunes, I saw two popular ebook readers. One was free but you have to buy books for that specific program and you can't transfer your own books from you computer ( I think it was called eReader). The other was $9.99 but had all the features I want ( I think it was bookshelf). I almost bought the $9.99 application but pulled out remembering the free "Books" application on the jailbroken installer that was nearly flawless. Waiting definitely paid off since I found on Sunday a newly uploaded app called "Stanza". This app is free but the major issue is that you can only transfer to your computer if you have a mac. I almost uninstalled it but then I looked at the free book catalog to see if there was maybe a few good books. I was psyched to see that there was a huge library of books that are free and that are downloadable straight to the ipod. More good news is that the aforementioned Stanza Desktop that is for mac is being ported to windows, so you can transfer ebooks from your computer from windows also. Hopefully you all were cheap like me and held off of buying a $10 ebook reader (highway robbery if you ask me), and can buy stanza now which is just as good as the old (and illegal) "Books" app.
  2. sirjonofun

sirjonofun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    That is awesome. I hope it gets ported to windows soon. This is one of the reasons that I haven't upgraded to 2.0 yet.
  3. Jadyks

Jadyks New Member

quoted for truth.
  4. iball

iball New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I've tried both and find that Bookshelf stomps stanza.
  5. olam

olam New Member

Thanks for the review, bros. I gonna try this out.
  6. ence117

ence117 New Member

At $9.99 it better stomp Stanza. But Stanza has everything that I could want (and its FREE!!!), can you explain what makes Bookshelf worth the price?
  7. clownfunk

clownfunk New Member

Does anyone know if its possible to copy books onto the ipod touch using ssh. Jailbroken 2.0 obviously.
  8. zao8350

zao8350 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thanks for this. if you had not posted this i might never have known about this app, and i loves me some ebooks. especially free ones

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Ingersoll

Ingersoll New Member

Where does one get "free" books for Stanza and how do you get them into Stanza?
  10. zephyrnok

zephyrnok Member

Inside Stanza itself!

Tap and open up the menu-thingy, and click the V arrow.

Now Go back as far as you can, and click on "Online Catalog"

Amazing! Free books!