For all of you 3G users waiting for an unlock..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfb392, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It looks like you have less than a month to wait, as long as you're running baseband firmware 1.45.00, according to Dev Team member MuscleNerd.

Source
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Im on 02.08.01 hope they have a way to downgrade. Its not the 2.2 baseband so hopefully I will b alright.

If they cant no big deal, my universal-sim has been going strong for months now and Im sure as long as I keep the baseband the same it should keep going as long as I need it to. I also heard a few *sims are working with the 2.2 baseband already.

Would be nice to have a software unlock though.
  3. sbkyoshi

sbkyoshi New Member

Questiono

Hey guys, I'm currently an iPod touch 2g user, and it's blatantly obvious (although many many lost souls continue to ask) that it's not going to be jailbroken or hacked any time soon.

Please Register or Log in to view images

My question is: Has anybody legitimately seen the ipod 3g hacked for use on Verizon's CDMA network?

I know the blackberries can also work on the global GSM network (at least the new Storm and the 8830 World Phone) but I just can't seem to trust youtube videos about whether or not iPhone 2g or 3g are, in fact, unlockable in such a sense.

I'm sure there has been some discussion on this issue already. If so, a simple link will suffice.

My reasoning is pretty much because I want to get an iPhone, but I work for Verizon ^^ so i'd be getting a 25 dollar plan with 1500 any time minutes, unlimited text, and the data package all inclusive at that price. Sooooo.. I'm sure you can understand my interest because frankly, the blackberry storm blows.

Thanks for your time

4. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The 3G's radio (the X-Gold) says it's WCDMA compatible on the spec sheet, but I assume this is for countries like Japan and Spain which only use CDMA.
    WCDMA is a different spectrum than CDMA, so I think unlocking the 3G and using it with Verizon is a no-go.
  5. sbkyoshi

sbkyoshi New Member

ahhh ic. interesting..

Another question.. I've seen a QuickPwn update for jailbreaking the 3g.. has anybody heard (or does anybody know) if the hardware that makes the iPod 2g unjailbreakable is the same as the iPhone 3g's? I'm assuming it's not for obvious reasons, but I wonder.

Does anybody know exactly what hardware makes the iPod 2g impossible to jailbreak?
  6. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The 2G isn't unjailbreakable; it's just that no one really cares about it enough.
    There's no point in wasting another low-level exploit on an iPod when you can use it on a future iPhone, at which time the 2G will also be jailbroken.
    The reason why the 2G cannot be jailbroken using the current method is it's lack of the 8900 parsing; the DFU exploit used by Pwnage is an 8900 parser bug.
  7. sbkyoshi

sbkyoshi New Member

I see.

well hopefully soon somebody will decide to waste a bunch of their time with a 2g "crack" haha because I really don't feel like getting another iPod touch lol

thanks for your insight
  8. jfb392

jfb392 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, if everyone is patient, we can hack two devices with one exploit, much like the current Pwnage method (except it works on three, not two).
    It'd also be useful because if a new iPhone is introduced, I believe that it will use another processor (the S5L8920x; the 2G iPod uses the 8720x), so we'll hopefully be able to pick apart both at once.
  9. sbkyoshi

sbkyoshi New Member

Definitely. I currently love my iPod as it is, so i'm not too worried about it, but i'm kind of a geek in terms of doing things i shouldn't necessarily be able to with computers, so I'm just kinda prodding for updates

Maybe I should look into learning a ton and making some simple firmware cracking programs myself hmm? Probably not gonna happen any time soon, but there's nothing wrong with learning ^^
  10. loaf-

loaf- New Member

I really hate to mention this, because it's almost a daily comment now, but the Chronic Team has been actively working on a 2G jailbreak. Also I just broke down and bought a Pevey SIM card for $8 bucks off eBay, so now I expect the unlocked to be released two seconds after I install the SIM. Thank me now, folks.

MuscleNerd stated about an hour ago that the Dev Team is preparing for a big update. False hope?