Food for Thought

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by TariLuinwe, Mar 12, 2009.

1. TariLuinwe

TariLuinwe New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I was very excited to hear about the untethered jailbreak for the ipt2g. However, I have been thinking and am wondering if going completely untethered is the best idea. Yes, it 'unties' us from the computer. Yes, it saves time with rebooting in case of accidental power-offs. But, it also would not be a help in recovering a stolen Touch. Because now a thief will be able to reboot it...hence making the Touches all that much more desirable.

I am an older user of the Touch. I carry mine with me everywhere (in the car, walking, in the house, at the store, etc) mainly to make sure that my kids do not kype it while I'm otherwise occupied. But, reading through the multitude of posts stating that their Touches have been stolen got me to thinking of how the tethered jailbreak might actually be a help in deterring theft.

It's just something I've been thinking about. I will un-tether my Touch within the next few days since I'm LONG out of high school and college. But, if I were still there, I would seriously consider staying tethered while in school (if I insisted on taking the Touch to school, that is).

Thank you for taking the time to read.

Tari
  2. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    if someone wants to steal it their gonna steal it and chances are they arent going to even know what a jailbreak is much less the difference between the tethered and untethered so i dont really think it makes a difference
  3. andrew!

andrew! New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think it makes a difference in some cases. An experienced jailbreak user will know the difference between JBn and not. I don't think it would exactly stop or hinder any theft because for theives, an iPod is an iPod. and if they did know it was jailbroken chances are they would know it isn't broken and it's fixable. however, I guess a post-stolen iPod owner could rest knowing the theft can't access the iPod. good point but it's still an iPod in their eyes... unfortunetly there is nothig we can do to fully stop theft...
  4. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ummm not being an idiot an leaving this $300 device out in the open or bragging to everyone about it is petty much all it takes
  5. Samm

Samm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Instead of that what about just a lock at the start?
  6. rb26dett

rb26dett New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    then if they steal it they come on here and tell us they forgot their passcode and want help
  7. mgiljum

mgiljum New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How does it make a difference if your iPod is bootable or not, if a person steals it? lmao, I think the logic in this hasn't been thought out for very long

Situation #1: Your iPod is jailbroken. A person steals it, and finds it doesn't work. They throw it away, thinking it's broken. OUTCOME: You don't have an iPod anymore.

Situation #2: Your iPod is not jailbroken. A person steals it, and they keep it. OUTCOME: You don't have an iPod anymore.

Whether a person can use the iPod or not doesn't matter. You don't have an iPod anymore!
  8. smarttart62

smarttart62 New Member

Plus, you can install a software that runs in the background and relays the iPod's coordinates everytime it is online.

Thus, making it possible to recover it, only if it's untethered

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. GatorDeb

GatorDeb New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    All they have to do is restore it on iTunes...
  10. smarttart62

smarttart62 New Member

Assuming they understood that it was still workable, AND knew what DFU mode was...