Fonts with themes [help]

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by jaymzleon, May 14, 2009.

1. jaymzleon

jaymzleon Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Hey everyone, ok we know we can change fonts to further customize your iphone/ipod, and we know we can change what font is being used by changing strings in the Info.plist file, using winterboard...

HERE is my question, I am working on a theme, and I am wanting it to be a very simple install. So I am asking if anyone knows how I can include a font with my release, so that when the user selects the theme in winterboard, it will automatically update the font (that is included with download) without ever having to go and put it in the .../font/cache folder themselves. (and/or without using fontswap)

my idea was to place a folder in the .theme folder such like
    "System>Library>Fonts>Cache>fontname.tff"

but that didnt work. I know there is a way, if we can change everything else, then this too. but im just stuck on how to add it to the folder for it to work. any ideas?

edit:: and yes I do know it would be easy to just include the font and tell people to use fontswap or go place it in the font folder, but Im trying to make this theme a one-click or i guess "one-touch" and poof everything is done.
  2. patrese

patrese New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Jayme,

You can use the info.plist and call another font using the font-family variable.
    However, you call fonts that reside at /System/Library/Fonts/Cache, as you wrote already. The OS looks in this folder, and imo there's no way to map that location with a Winterboard bundles or folders folder..
    Maybe you can ask Saurik, the man himself
  3. jaymzleon

jaymzleon Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    after i found how to use the info.plist that way, it started getting me to think about what im trying to do with it. i will send him an email and see what he says, if i find out anything ill update here. but if anybody else knows of the way or anything please do share

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Vince

Vince Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I know in the default Saurik theme it changes the system font, maybe you can check there.
  5. patrese

patrese New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Is that true Vince, I thought it was just the springboard (icon labels) that were changed there. If not, interesting..

Please Register or Log in to view images

I'm gonna check it out later today, I don't have Sauriks default theme, will uninstall and reinstall winterboard then
  6. jaymzleon

jaymzleon Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    i just checked it out, it changes the system font to courier which is already installed on the ipod.
  7. iKeablr

iKeablr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah that is what it does, it doesn't change it to a customized font, only the ones that are on by default.
  8. patrese

patrese New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yea, so that's what we thought already, it's the same as the font-family variable and it calls fonts that reside in the fonts folder
  9. jaymzleon

jaymzleon Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    i know but im trying to figure out a way that i can place a font in a winterboard folder, and use the info.plist to call to it.
    much like placing a image in UIImages folder in the nameoftheme.them folder and it replacing the one thats on the ipod already..make sense?

edit: im still waiting on an email back from saurik, i hope its soon
  10. iKeablr

iKeablr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I think I remember a couple of weeks back somebody was asking about this. Not sure who it was, though.

I am pretty sure it is not possible. Because the only way it would be possible is if the person had downloaded the theme that included the font, and the font was placed in the fonts folder. Then the "info.plist" would call out for that font.